Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Blimey, there's going to be a lot to get through…

That AAIB report has been published, there'll be some people feeling uncomfortable at the CAA. Damning would be an understatement.

Two weeks left to take advantage of the EC rebate

Sending Coventry to Coventry

We give Mark Greenfield the Right Stuff quiz and chat to him about flying after we've all had a Corona layoff, then we'll see if we can persuade him to spill the beans on some of his celeb flying stories…

Fantasy Hangar mourns the loss of Learjet with our favourite classic jets

and much much more…

Join us at 19:30 on our Facebook page or on our YouTube channel
mick w, Foie Gras liked this
By Dave W
This one. :shock:

Australian 95kg UAV loss of control in front of a crowd at Goodwood in July 2019.

It ended up at 8,000ft in Class A in the vicinity of the GWC hold before crashing 40m from a house.

The report is eye-popping.
By T6Harvard
@G-BLEW ,

Can you mention / enquire with CAA about the EC rebate NOT being available to student pilots, even those who own their own aircraft?? (see Flyer facebook thread on the FOI request - a couple of folk have posted about missing the opportunity). I guess they need to limit the scheme to stop opportunist Joe Public getting a rebate then selling the EC gear on, but anyone training could get confirmation from their flying school to confirm their bona fides? Or, as an owner, confirm their ac is registered under their n&a on CAA register.
By G-BLEW
T6Harvard wrote:@G-BLEW ,

Can you mention / enquire with CAA about the EC rebate NOT being available to student pilots, even those who own their own aircraft?? (see Flyer facebook thread on the FOI request - a couple of folk have posted about missing the opportunity). I guess they need to limit the scheme to stop opportunist Joe Public getting a rebate then selling the EC gear on, but anyone training could get confirmation from their flying school to confirm their bona fides? Or, as an owner, confirm their ac is registered under their n&a on CAA register.

I can ask…

Ian
T6Harvard liked this
By G-BLEW
Hooligan wrote:Bugger - I've got to go out at 9pm - I hope it won't be that bumper... :D

(Off to read the AAIB report...)

No, definitely not that bumper!

Ian
By G-BLEW
Buzz53 wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:Two weeks left to take advantage of the EC rebate

Isn't it 6 weeks, otherwise I'll have to get my skates on:

"The scheme will open to applications from the 5 October 2020 until 31 March 2021 (or until the funding is used)".

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/ ... y-devices/

Same page, but just under that bit…

What are the requirements to apply?
Funding is for carry-on or aircraft-fitted devices only. Ground system components do not qualify for this scheme.
Applicants can claim a single rebate of 50% - up to £250 - on EC equipment purchased.
Only equipment purchased from 1st October 2020 until 28 February 2021 will be eligible for rebate.
You must produce a proof of purchase receipt.
You must hold at least one of the following UK issued pilot licences (UK or EASA part FCL):
Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL)
Commercial Pilot’s Licence (CPL)
National PPL (NPPL)
Sailplane Pilot’s Licence (SPL)
Balloon Pilot’s Licence (BPL)
Light Aircraft Pilot’s Licence (LAPL)
Or be a registered member of the British Gliding Association (BGA), or a member of the British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (BHPA) holding a current 'Pilot' rating.

Alternatively, if you are UAS/UAV operator then you must hold an authorisation issued specifically to them by the CAA (i.e. a permission, exemption or “operational authorisation”). General Exemptions, permissions or authorisations which are aimed at a wider and non specific group of operators are not included
T6Harvard liked this
By Rjk983
Buzz53 wrote:Thanks, bit strange though!
Alan

Not really, you purchase on 28 Feb, but you have to supply the serial number of the equip supplied so need to wait for delivery, hopefully it will arrive within the 4 weeks so you can still sneak your claim in before the deadline.