Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JodelDavo
Why does everyone think Grant Shapps is the golden boy to solve all our problems?

Yes he has an aeroplane but he’s also a politician. I wouldn’t trust him to do anything that didn’t benefit himself, his career or his own wallet. Like all of them really.

GA alone doesn’t provide the income to keep a place like Coventry going.
lobstaboy, Rob P, PeteSpencer and 1 others liked this
By Bathman
Rob P wrote:
Because Coventry isn't viable? It hasn't been for a long time.

But it was once and that was the case for many years and sadly at that time development of the airfield was restricted by the councils.

Once its gone its gone.

Look at all those factors that are just around the corner GPS approaches with AFIS or single engine turbine ops. Hasn't anyone seen the D reg C208 running into BHX every night.
By Sooty25
peter272 wrote:Sad to think that the first thought is to build ON an airfield, rather than alongside. Why can't the factory be placed nearby? That way both can benefit.

Instead, as happens so often in the UK, there is little thought to infrastructure - that is someone else's problem

'cos this has a huge great strip of concrete already in place to sit a production line on.

It also has good road links.

10 years time, we'll all be based at the last surviving airfield, flying circuits 'cos there's nowhere to go!
Kittyhawk, Kemble Pitts liked this
By Bald Sparrow
Sooty25 wrote:....... 'cos there's nowhere to go!

Don't think of taking up Golf as an alternative to flying.

County council down here is circulating it's draft plan for housing and has identified areas for building houses and industrial units that include two operating golf courses and substantial parts of green belt land. The pressure to provide these plans comes from central government so is probably something over which Grant Shapps and other ministers will have some influence.

But then in March 2020, Boris said we would have knocked Covid-19 on the head in 12 weeks and here we are in lockdown 48 weeks later. Should we believe anything they tell us?
By lobstaboy
Bald Sparrow wrote: . Should we believe anything they tell us?

In a word, no.
Sometimes I think they actually believe themselves what they are saying when they say it; other times they are just saying things that are the right things to say, but without any heed for the effort involved or consequences; but...

...most of the time they are simply lying.

PS I mean all politicians, not making a party political point here...
Kemble Pitts liked this
By ArthurG
JodelDavo wrote:Why does everyone think Grant Shapps is the golden boy to solve all our problems?

Yes he has an aeroplane but he’s also a politician. I wouldn’t trust him to do anything that didn’t benefit himself, his career or his own wallet. Like all of them really.

GA alone doesn’t provide the income to keep a place like Coventry going.

I don't think everyone does think that, but he said: “The Secretary of State for Transport wishes to see that the UK benefits from being the best place in the world for general aviation,” in the CAA launch document. He also happens to be Secretary of State for Transport. Why not put pressure on him to at least attempt do what he promised?

I'm no John Humphrys, but if a public representative launches a spiel like this, I'd like to hear them account for how well they think they've done. If we just assume they're all in it for themselves and they care about nothing else, surely we give the politicians carte blanche to fail to deliver on all promises. That way lies despair.
By lobstaboy
ArthurG wrote:. “The Secretary of State for Transport wishes to see that the UK benefits from being the best place in the world for general aviation,” in the CAA launch document. He also happens to be Secretary of State for Transport. Why not put pressure on him to at least attempt do what he promised?

I'm no John Humphrys, but if a public representative launches a spiel like this, I'd like to hear them account for how well they think they've done. If we just assume they're all in it for themselves and they care about nothing else, surely we give the politicians carte blanche to fail to deliver on all promises. That way lies despair.

But that statement means absolutely nothing - it says he wishes something: there is no commitment to do anything at all.

My despair of the political process in this country and of politicians as a breed set in about 40 years ago. Since then I'd guess that I can count on one hand those I feel had any integrity.
By JodelDavo
lobstaboy wrote:My despair of the political process in this country and of politicians as a breed set in about 40 years ago. Since then I'd guess that I can count on one hand those I feel had any integrity.

Hit nail on head..

With very few exceptions, MPs are all from the same mould. They will sell you snake oil if it got them what they wanted. I don't trust any of them. :roll:
By ArthurG
lobstaboy wrote:
ArthurG wrote:. “The Secretary of State for Transport wishes to see that the UK benefits from being the best place in the world for general aviation,” in the CAA launch document. He also happens to be Secretary of State for Transport. Why not put pressure on him to at least attempt do what he promised?

But that statement means absolutely nothing - it says he wishes something: there is no commitment to do anything at all.

My despair of the political process in this country and of politicians as a breed set in about 40 years ago. Since then I'd guess that I can count on one hand those I feel had any integrity.

Mostly I fear you are right. However, I do think if through fatigue we allow a culture to come about where politicians can be as cynical and self-serving as they like without consequences, then we are doomed to a bunch of utterly unprincipled uber-grabbers like a certain ex-US president. What we have now is better than that.

Call me a wide-eyed innocent if you like, but I will keep asking them for at least something back and I am glad to see politicians being badgered to account for their actions (or lack of them) . I pay taxes which pay their wages and my vote can make them feel good about their position in society, so they owe me...
Last edited by ArthurG on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Freeflight
Unfortunately you've got a raft of factors that go against the retention of the airport, as an airport. With the proposed Gigafactory, the need for that (for 'UK plc') outweighs the need for a GA airfield in that location a hundred-fold. With JLR having announced they are to go all-electric in a matter of years, the dire economic circumstances we find ourselves in right now (post Brexit, post-Covid) and the government's hallowed green agenda, the cards are all stacked against the airfield. Logistically and politically, the location is ideal for the factory. There may be other sites, but this is ideal, ticks almost all the boxes. Add to that the fact that the owner of the long-term lease - Rigby, recognised that there was a bottomless pit of money to keep the airport going with any form of ATC, infrastructure upgrades etc. with BHX having pinched most (actually virtually all) of their business aviation and freight business, the best way out is to develop the land. Sadly a lost cause.