Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
Cant they just send an email to everyone saying "Please cross out the words "European Union" on your licence...??
By patowalker
skydriller wrote:Do drivers need to re-do their driving licenses? And as these were made with photos to be EU-compliant (remember, its not an ID card :roll: ) will they now be lifetime and not need to be renewed (which you pay for) every 10years I wonder.... :wink:

Regards, SD..

I just received my new driving licence. It is exactly the same as the old one, without the blue flag. UK is now printed. slightly larger than when in the centre of the flag. Cost zero. It included a (EU) compliant new photo.
(Found the easiest way to print passport photos is by using Word. where you can size it to the mm) :)
By Rjk983
G-BLEW wrote:What is the difference between a reprinted CAA FCL (was EASA FCL) licence and a brown CAA lifetime licence?

Ian

Dave W wrote:77 quid

And permission to fly a Part 21 aircraft....
By johnm
I have to change my driving licence every 3 years as I'm aged but it doesn't cost anything except for medical to keep truck and bus grandfather rights.

In 5 years time I shall probably be hanging up my headset I suspect and I'm certainly not going to seek a reprint until I absolutely have to....
By Rateone
Done - what a try on. That's just usery! :pirat:

The charge to reissue EASA badged FCL licenses with a UK CAA badged licence is unjustified. There is no rationale to require the rebadging and there is no reason to charge for what is effectively a reprint of the same information on a single sheet of A4 paper. This was not required when the licence moved to JAR so it is difficult to understand why it would be needed now. The current UK driving licence has the EU flag in the top left corner but the DVLA has not stated that I need to change this within 5 years to a UK one and that I will be charged £77 for the privilege. If it did there would be uproar so it is difficult to see why the CAA is a special case.

The difference in price between private and professional licences is also unjustified. The same level of work, printer ink and postage is required in both instances.

There is no impact on the rights of the individuals in possession of the licences from the rebadging, so this would appear to be an exercise in differentiation by the CAA in order to set us apart from Europe. If the CAA believes that all UK pilots require a "differentiated" licence it should re-issue these licences free or at minimal cost to cover printing and postage to the pilot - £10 would be more than adequate

It would appear to me that the CAA should focus on the more important aspects of separation. Issuing new pieces of paper with a different picture should be well down that list. Forcing a captive market to require a specific item and overcharging for that item is anti-competitive and open to challenge.
Paul_Sengupta, Dave W, Aerials and 4 others liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
Rateone wrote:...The current UK driving licence has the EU flag in the top left corner but the DVLA has not stated that I need to change this within 5 years to a UK one and that I will be charged £77 for the privilege. If it did there would be uproar so it is difficult to see why the CAA is a special case...

DVLA photocard driving licences are only valid for 10 years as the photo has to be replaced every 10 years. Hence there is a natural cycle of licence replacement anyway.
Current fee £14 change online, £17 change by post.
By GAFlyer4Fun
xtophe wrote:...
The CAA has decided that part-FCL licences which have the EASA wording on it will need to be reprinted before 2026.
They propose to charge £77 (or £146 if you have a CPL or above)

CAA will only re-issue a licence if:
- Your medical is current and appropriate level for the licence that needs replacing,
- Your language proficiency is up to date.

There is currently confusion over PMD where some have previously needed a Class 2 or LAPL medical.
By Dodo
Well my retirement pension/savings pot has a flying budget that is predicated on giving up at age 70, which , as it happens, will be at the very end of 2025, so I probably won't need to get my licence reprinted!