Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By xtophe
This consultations closes in 2 days on the 4th February: https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance ... s-fy21-22/
In view of Covid-19, a lot of fees are frozen.

One fee which is not frozen but created from nothing is the one to reprint Part-FCL licences.
(See page 14 of the consulation document CAP1986
It was discuss briefly in the Brexit thread.
The CAA has decided that part-FCL licences which have the EASA wording on it will need to be reprinted before 2026.
They propose to charge £77 (or £146 if you have a CPL or above)

That seems fairly pricy for printing 1 page and posting it.

I would imagine there is quite a lot of us who will be hit by that charge in the future so time to provide comments in this consultation: https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance ... s-fy21-22/
By Stampe
The real issue for me is the total incompetence of the whole organisation .If they actually performed their charges would be expensive but perhaps understandable given the relatively small scale of their operations.Shockingly bad forms ,errors in virtually every action they take and then their not answering customer communications or phone calls make them a national disgrace.Its hard to see a resolution given the depths to which they have sunk and the length of time they have been so bad.A fresh start in Aviation regulation is required.The culture of the organisation its very DNA is rotten from the top down.
Regards Stampe
JodelDavo, RisePilot, PaulSS and 1 others liked this
By Dave W
Dave W wrote:A charge of £146, let alone £77, to reprint an existing licence simply to rebadge from EASA to UK CAA is outrageous and blatant price-gouging of a captive group who have no choice but to comply if they wish to retain privileges expensively gained and maintained.
This should be, unless you have a not-fit-for-purpose record system, a simple database printing exercise at minimal cost. Your pricing should therefore reflect that and the fee should be far less than you propose - if not free. A maximum of £10.00 would be more appropriate if you must charge, including postage to the pilot.

There should be no difference whatsoever in the price whether a professional or private licence since the cost to you should be the same.

It was quite cathartic fist-typing that, even if I did feel like I was channeling @G-BLEW having A Great Thursday Rant.
Paul_Sengupta, nallen, Jonzarno and 3 others liked this
By RayP
Dave W wrote:There should be no difference whatsoever in the price whether a professional or private licence since the cost to you should be the same.

Be careful what you wish for - it could end up with everyone being charged £146 :shock:
By Dave W
@RayP - Which would further reinforce my point.

We either complain or we cower before the capricious overcharging and disappointing competence of the FCL organisation at Gatwick.

I choose "complain".

PS It's not anonymous, either: Uh-oh.
JodelDavo liked this
By JodelDavo
Why are CPLs and above charged £146 and PPLs less? I used to work at the god forsaken place so know what's involved.

Same piece of paper, same PC time, same cost for ink, same amount of work, same envelope, same postage......?

Another stealth tax from the CAA monopoly where we have no choice..

"Bend over sir, remove your trousers and it's time for your injection"
By pullup
JodelDavo wrote: I used to work at the god forsaken place so know what's involved.

Me too.

And when I saw some of the incompetence I used to say to them ....“if this was a commercial operation it would have gone bust years ago”.
By ChampChump
I've no dog in this race (at present) but have commented, briefly. IMO inefficiency needs to be addressed first, but that's not what was being asked, unfortunately.
By johnm
While I am singularly unimpressed with a lot of what the CAA do, they are a fairly average regulator as regulators go. It is also worth remembering that their financial position is set by the Treasury and DfT and so there’s a limit to what the CAA can do. So a few hostile emails to Grant Shapps might be in order though the words water duck and back are probably relevant
By skydriller
Do drivers need to re-do their driving licenses? And as these were made with photos to be EU-compliant (remember, its not an ID card :roll: ) will they now be lifetime and not need to be renewed (which you pay for) every 10years I wonder.... :wink:

Regards, SD..
By Hermitageclose
xtophe wrote:The CAA has decided that part-FCL licences which have the EASA wording on it will need to be reprinted before 2026. They propose to charge £77 (or £146 if you have a CPL or above)

Playing devils advocate here, apart from the words "European Union", don't all UK issued part-FCL licences already have United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority and the CAA's Logo already printed on them...?

I expect however that the CAA will still insist that these licences will for some reason still need to be re-printed to have the "European Union" wording removed, but £77 (£146) in anyone's eyes is excessive .