Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrimReaper
Hi everybody, I just wanted to give you an update on the current thinking with regard to Project Propeller.

Clearly, everything we plan is contingent upon easing of lockdown, permissions for large gatherings etc, but I wanted to advise that we are targeting an event on Sunday 20th June at Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green. If that date proves to be unfeasible, then our reserve date is Sunday 19th September.

I expect we'll have a clearer idea at the end of this month or early March, and I'll keep everyody updated. However, if volunteer pilots could pencil those dates into their diary, I'd be most grateful.

Stay safe everyone :thumleft:
IFly172 liked this
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrimReaper wrote:Hi everybody, I just wanted to give you an update on the current thinking with regard to Project Propeller.

Clearly, everything we plan is contingent upon easing of lockdown, permissions for large gatherings etc, but I wanted to advise that we are targeting an event on Sunday 20th June at Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green. If that date proves to be unfeasible, then our reserve date is Sunday 19th September.

I expect we'll have a clearer idea at the end of this month or early March, and I'll keep everyody updated. However, if volunteer pilots could pencil those dates into their diary, I'd be most grateful.

Stay safe everyone :thumleft:

Thanks Graham, rest assured that I’m working on doing just that.
By Genghis the Engineer
Dates clear in my diary, and would be glad to support.

I haven't helped out for a few years, and doubt I'm on your lists any more. Who should I contact to say I'm available?

G
By Cookie
Should be available to assist this year. Dates in my diary. ATB Cookie
By Dyslexnick
The client demographic should mean they all will have had the jab , most of the volunteer pilots are also most likely in the top 4 groups !
What could possibly go wrong ?
My Victim is still alive and kicking but i wont contact him again until a bit nearer the time
This year could be quite special
Nick
By IFly172
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I heard recently that my last PP veteran, John Stevens, passed away in December. :-(

Sadly, this has been the fate (over the years) of 6 of the 7 veterans I have been privileged to take to the event.
By GrimReaper
Hi everybody

You will have seen the Lockdown Roadmap announcement in recent days - given that we've been told that the last stage of restrictions cannot be lifted until 21st June at the earliest, we have concluded that we cannot run the event as originally scheduled (20th June).

However, the team at Wolverhampton have confirmed that they are happy to host us later in the year, so I can advise that our plan is to stage Project Propeller 2021 on Sunday 19th September.

I will be writing to veterans shortly, but if you are in contact with any, please do go ahead and alert them to the date. I am now happy to receive pilot registrations for the event - you can e-mail me at graham[AT]projectpropeller.co.uk. I'm especially keen to hear from pilots with high-wing or fuselage access aircraft.

Feel free to fire any questions at me.
By GrimReaper
Just a quick update from the event at Halfpenny Green yesterday.

Another very enjoyable day for those that made it - we were due to have 38 aircraft, of which 25 were able to make it. The East/South East of England seemed to have the worst of changeable conditions.

We had circa 35 veterans in attendance -the youngest at 96, the oldest at 103. The BBMF kindly provided a Spitfire fly past, and we also had a visit from an Avro Anson and Piper Cub.

As always, my thanks go to our host at Wolverhampton, the wonderful cadets/students from the Air Cadets and University of Birmingham Air Squadron, and the many volunteers that it takes to ensure that the event runs smoothly. Of course, without volunteer pilots, the event doesn't take place at all, so my humble thanks to everyone who volunteered, whether I was able to find you a passenger or not, or whether you were able to fly or not.

If you'd like to see some photos from the day, please head across to our Facebook page, where I'll start a thread.

Thoughts now turn to 2022. With the dwindling numbers of World War 2 veterans, we have concluded the following:

- this will be the last Propeller event which has a purely WW2 guest list.

- whilst I need to think about planning, the intention is for this to be an "open door" type event. Pilots who have volunteered in the past, but their veterans have passed away, will be invited to attend, whether by road or air.

The likely date will be Sunday 19th June 2022, so please mark this in your diaries, pending further news. The venue is likely to be Wolverhampton again, if they'll have us!
ChampChump, Aerials liked this