Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
Atcomgr wrote:chevvron, all the reasons you have given for the Lydd IAP’s to be offset are not correct. Not one of them.

chevvron wrote:No; as the localiser is not on the runway centreline, there is a 5 deg offset with the DME zero range at the runway 21 threshold.
The LLZ final approach course is 207 deg M whereas the runway QDM is 212 deg M due to the LLZ being positioned some distance to the left of FAT.
What I'm trying to say is, the offset is beause the LLZ cannot be positioned in line because of its location presumably because the owners decided to cut costs by installing on an already prepared and stable surface as opposed to expensively excavating new foundations; Danger Activity can be 'managed' by LoAs as with other DAs.

Accepted - I was only guessing!!
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A very reliable source tells me the required spares to repair the Lydd ILS will be arriving soon so hopefully will have a venue again offering both RNP ,ILS and NDB approaches all in one location at reasonable cost with ATC that understands and welcomes GA.Good news.
Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Considerate Compliant.
Iceman, kanga, AlanM and 2 others liked this
By Stampe
Reliable sources tell me the ILS has indeed been repaired but it is likely to be the end of the month before all the certification hurdles are cleared and it can be placed in service.
Regards Stampe Fly Safe Considerate Compliant.
Iceman liked this
By Stampe
Lydd approach aids back fully operational as of today so IR and IR(R) revalidation just got a lot easier in the South East with one friendly practical location for ILS /DME ,NDB/DME and RNP approaches.Regards Stampe
Iceman, Bathman, Ibra and 1 others liked this
By Lefty
Stampe wrote:Lydd approach aids back fully operational as of today so IR and IR(R) revalidation just got a lot easier in the South East with one friendly practical location for ILS /DME ,NDB/DME and RNP approaches.Regards Stampe

Excellent new!