Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
simoon wrote:I Called them yesterday to book some ILS's but apparently its down until maybe spring next year.
when I asked why they said it was complicated.
anyone know whats gone wrong ?

I believe it was acquired from Manston after that airfield closed (hopefully to be re-opened next year) so maybe there's some reason the CAA don't allow them to use it.
By chevvron
Ibra wrote:
Procedural ILS at Lydd is poorly designed from the stone age, they don’t have radar to make a tight one but they could replace that ILS intercept with GPS 10nm intercept instead of 14nm DME arc and eating half of UK SE airspace

There used to be a radar at Lydd; when it was withdrawn I don't know but I know it still operated in about 1975.
Ibra liked this
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:
Ibra wrote:
Procedural ILS at Lydd is poorly designed from the stone age, they don’t have radar to make a tight one but they could replace that ILS intercept with GPS 10nm intercept instead of 14nm DME arc and eating half of UK SE airspace

There used to be a radar at Lydd; when it was withdrawn I don't know but I know it still operated in about 1975.

I think that with the demise of the original operating company of lydd back in the early 1980's and its closure along with the Cross Channel, Special Rules Airspace , remember them, and also the Light Aircraft Corridor. Keeping radar there was a bit pointless so it was scrapped. The ILS was operational as covid hit so a reasonable guess would be cost savings.

G-JWTP
By chevvron
G-JWTP wrote:
chevvron wrote:
Ibra wrote:

I think that with the demise of the original operating company of lydd back in the early 1980's and its closure along with the Cross Channel, Special Rules Airspace , remember them, and also the Light Aircraft Corridor. Keeping radar there was a bit pointless so it was scrapped. The ILS was operational as covid hit so a reasonable guess would be cost savings.

G-JWTP

I remember 'Kent Radar' which operated from RAF Manston using a single civilian cntroller; I visited it in 1988 when I was running an Easter ATC Camp but I think it closed not long after.
By Iceman
I seem to recall Manston providing a LARS service into the later 90s (may be 97, 98 at least), and also had a PAR approach at that time, because I remember using these services.

Iceman 8)
By Ibra
chevvron wrote:There used to be a radar at Lydd; when it was withdrawn I don't know but I know it still operated in about 1975.

Indeed, there was a radar cover in Kent bellow FL80 other than what we had in Battle of Britain!

A bit off topic, I saw a video (VHS quality from 80') of 4 seat Cessna or Piper punching through cumulunimbus with all the belts & whistles: darkness, lightning, hail...the only good news they were on proper radar deconfliction service as they passed Dover, maybe offred by Manston or Lydd? not that many aircraft would have be around in that kind of cloud :lol:
By G-JWTP
Yep Kent Radar,
They used to operate a funny set of routes to the continent North of the Light Aircraft Corridor and Ferryfield Approach worked the LAC and the routes to the South of it.
I may be wrong but I think you had to file a flight plan to fly in the SRA.

G-JWTP
Ibra liked this
By AndyR
Re the ILS, I believe the DME is u/s and it’s required in order to fly the approach.

Taking an ILS offline, if it’s ever intended to reinstate it, is not a cost saving exercise as it would need recommissioning. Far cheaper to continue with the 6 monthly checks unless it’s going to be offline for several years.
By Stampe
DME was working today.I believe the localiser is the problem and not an easy or quick fix.The remaining RNP and NDB/DME offer similar minima to the offset ILS at lower running cost which may colour the airports decision making when the cost of the ILS repair is established.I keep my aircraft at Lydd and it is excellent to operate from.Its an easy 50 minute drive from my home yet I have a licensed grass airfield 3 minutes from home but I am very happy to take the extra drive for the facilities and helpful staff. Lydd is a GA gem in the South East long may it survive!
Flyin'Dutch', Dodo, Iceman and 3 others liked this
By G-JWTP
Bathman wrote:What about the VOR at Lydd. Any idea when that get decommissioned?

December 2022 latest.

G-JWTP
By Iceman
There's a certain degree of irony that the last Lydd ground-bassd beacon may be its NDB.

Iceman 8)
kanga liked this
By chevvron
Iceman wrote:I seem to recall Manston providing a LARS service into the later 90s (may be 97, 98 at least), and also had a PAR approach at that time, because I remember using these services.

Iceman 8)

PAR was the RAF one; different controllers, different control tower after they changed from military to civil.
By Bathman
Iceman wrote:There's a certain degree of irony that the last Lydd ground-bassd beacon may be its NDB.

Iceman 8)

There is and I wonder if we will see more of that around the country.

Aren't NDB's cheap to operate?
By chevvron
GrahamB wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:The offset ILS provides additional entertainment - does anywhere else have one?

Hawarden 04 is offset by 2.6 degrees, intercepting the centre line about a mile short of the threshold. The glideslope is also at 3.5 degrees, so it's an interesting one all round.

Sumburgh (both ends) and RAF Odiham all have offset localisers.
I think the reason Lydd has an offset is because of the stability of the terrain in the area in line with the runway; if you look closely you'll find the LLZ at Lydd is on the disused runway which would mean less work needed to instal it rather than dig foundations.