Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
xtophe wrote:Unless the controller cannot grant an SVFR clearance maybe because he already got too many IFR and SVFR to deconflict and the pilot is left to use plan B at the last minute

Standard VFR zone entry at Leeds is a clearance to enter the zone, and then during busy periods with a string of commercial inbounds, to orbit at the end of the downwind leg, and take advantage of any small gaps to make a tight dive for the threshold.
With the separation requirements attached to SVFR, pre Covid, I could have spent the best part of an entire afternoon whiling away my time outside the zone waiting for an entry clearance.
johnm wrote:I am confused about the reference to ATZ as in Class G there is no issue. SVFR in Class D allows clear of cloud and insight of the surface and IMHO if the weather makes that hard the controller managed separation is a benefit to all

The reference to ATZs was made because the video in question comprises a request to transit the ATZ of an airfield within a Class D CTR. The request was made due to a change in flight path caused by a desire to remain 1000' vertically from cloud as per SERA VFR rules. An ATCO commented on the video, explaining that as far as they're concerned, the lateral limits of the ATZ represent the geographical edge of their interest in the cloud ceiling. They wouldn't deny someone a VFR transit clearance for a routing outside the ATZ which would contravene VFR cloud separation minima for Class D, because they don't know where the cloud is beyond the lateral limits of the ATZ. They only care about the ceiling and visibility within the ATZ, into which they can't clear VFR flight if the visibility is less than 5km and the ceiling is lower than 1500'.

A SVFR clearance would allow a 'clear of cloud and in sight of surface' Class D transit. My interpretation of the 'dilemma' in the video is the pilot deciding whether to:

a) accept a simple VFR zone transit which could, in the eyes of the pilot, contravene SERA VFR in Class D cloud separation minima
b) request a cloud-compliant VFR transit which would require a less-than-ideal flight path and a potentially confusing exchange with ATC
c) request a SVFR clearance, knowing that it is theoretically less likely to be issued than a VFR clearance due to SVFR traffic requiring separation from IFR traffic in Class D
d) request an IFR clearance

The pilot elected to go with b).
By GrahamB
johnm wrote:I think I understand now, but I'd still rather have SERA and SVFR.

You are at complete liberty to continue to constrain yourselves to operate under those rules should the circumstances arise.
flybymike liked this
By johnm
GrahamB wrote:
johnm wrote:I think I understand now, but I'd still rather have SERA and SVFR.

You are at complete liberty to continue to constrain yourselves to operate under those rules should the circumstances arise.

I'll go IFR in marginal weather anyway :-) However I still think SERA is best for everybody I don't like the exceptions and I don't think controllers do either....
AlanM, WhoWhenWhy?, Cub and 1 others liked this
By johnm
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Let us know how your instrument approach to Lower Upham goes...

I can't see any reason to go there in a TB 20 when Soton is nearby :-) but a SVFR clearance into Soton zone should do the trick for those who want to go there.
By kanga
Irv Lee wrote:..of course Southampton found a fantastic solution to all this ignorance and confusion and orbitting in haze a few years later (they told GA residents to **** ***) - ..

Southampton 'expansion' planning decision 25 March. Light GA may become even less welcome (or even pricier for visitors) :?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-56244477
By AlanM
CloudHound wrote:If these trees are south of the motorway in line with the runway it’s to do with Obstacle Limitation Surfaces penetration.

I noted the approach lighting was partially obscured during a flight lighting check many years ago.

Yep, Marlhill Copse is the area in the report.

By kanga
CloudHound wrote:When are the Council Elections? :evil:

Early May in England, for those being held this year. Some incumbents have had an extra year in office after last year's were cancelled. Here I think it's for County Councillors and Borough Councillors in some wards, and for PCC.