Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Since SERA is essentially the ICAO rules which are accepted across the globe it's not entirely clear why the UK has to be different. If I am speaking tosh I'll be happy to acknowledge the fact if an explanation is forthcoming, I shall wait patiently....

I've happily flown IFR, VFR and SVFR in class D under both sets of rules.
James Chan liked this
By rikur_
johnm wrote:Since SERA is essentially the ICAO rules which are accepted across the globe it's not entirely clear why the UK has to be different.

I felt that our rules were pragmatic for our weather and density of airspace.
Easy to keep 1000ft below cloud in nicer climates, but invariably the cloud base around here is at 2000ft, and do we really want everyone flying at 1000ft?
Not really a problem for those of us able to accept an IFR clearance, but I've been surprised how often I can't now accept a VFR clearance.
Charles Hunt, JAFO liked this
By johnm
rikur_ wrote:
johnm wrote:Since SERA is essentially the ICAO rules which are accepted across the globe it's not entirely clear why the UK has to be different.

I felt that our rules were pragmatic for our weather and density of airspace.
Easy to keep 1000ft below cloud in nicer climates, but invariably the cloud base around here is at 2000ft, and do we really want everyone flying at 1000ft?
Not really a problem for those of us able to accept an IFR clearance, but I've been surprised how often I can't now accept a VFR clearance.

I had understood that SVFR was the "get out of gaol free" card in this respect as it reduced the minima and separation requirements. Class D ATC have to maintain separation under SVFR but that seems a benefit AFAICS.
By rikur_
johnm wrote:
I had understood that SVFR was the "get out of gaol free" card in this respect as it reduced the minima and separation requirements. Class D ATC have to maintain separation under SVFR but that seems a benefit AFAICS.

I *thought* SVFR had to be explicitly granted by talking to ATC, whereas VFR could be allowed via letter agreement? (albeit the Manchester low level corridor seems to suggest this isn't true!), I thought there were also implications for controller workload and minimum separation. e.g. with VFR, you can maintain your own separation from other VFR aircraft, potentially without speaking to ATC (if letter agreement allows) ..... whereas with SVFR minimum separations are required, and you have to talk to ATC?
I agree. Why be different???? Almost every thread on these forums talks of ‘France being better’ (for fight following) and other countries having better tolerance and management of infringements etc. (The usual topics!)

Then, there is excitement at being different.

I can see why a No Deal Brexit is looming. Team GB wants to cherry pick its way through life in all forms.
derekf liked this
By johnm
GrahamB wrote:Yeah, let’s scrap the IMC rating while we’re about it. No other country has one, so it must be rubbish. :roll:

Sometimes, responding to local circumstances with a tiny tweak can reap benefits which far outweigh the cost.

We ended up with IMCR because, despite it’s best endeavours, AOPA couldn’ t get the CAA to do an accessible IR which is also why we have a lot of N reg aeroplanes.

EASA with CB IR has greatly improved matters and is still progressing and much of that work has been driven by Brits ironically