Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Halfpenny Green has been in decline for many years. Most of the taxiways are strewn with chippings. My nose wheel spat suffers more stone chips every time I go there. What should be the main runway was chewed up by jet efflux and remains shut and is unlikely to reopen without the planned housing. The other two runways offer the option of landing on a slope or an aircraft carrier.

It's hard to say what's for the best. At least see some money put into resurfacing and hangarage before the field closes in years to come or see it sold off in the near future and lose it altogether.

Either way, like others, I'm sure the NIMBY's will win in the end. At least enjoy the field for now.
This has just been issued by Hangar Homes Ltd.

He makes some valid, if depressing, points.

News that the owners of Wolverhampton want to build 112 homes on a car park at the airfield came as no surprise to me, given that I approached them 3 years ago about building 18 hangar homes on the south-east corner of the airfield, which they never pursued. I knew then that the owners wanted to develop the whole of the airfield as any hangar homes would prevent this from happening as they need an active runway. The same happened with Fairoaks and Wellesbourne, which are now trying to develop the whole airfield after they refused to allow any hangar homes. Similarly, Old Sarum want to build 480 houses on the airfield, but refused to include 30 hangar homes, because it would prevent the rest of the airfield being developed.

Allowing hangar homes on GA airfields is the ‘litmus test’ of whether the owners want to keep the airfield. If they do, then they should welcome them as each unit would have to pay for airside access and would therefore help to make the airfield more sustainable, but if they don’t, then it’s obvious they want the option in the future to develop the whole airfield. On that premise, I would add Denham, Elstree, Newtownards and Lee-on-Solent (if they refuse after winning my planning appeal) to the ‘endangered airfields’ list.

If the Government wants to keep GA alive in the UK, they should tell local councils that all existing GA airfields must remain as airfields unless there are exceptional reasons otherwise.
flybymike wrote:.. planning approval to discontinue airfield status not required.

Staverton as an operational airport is in the Gloucestershire Council Strategic Plan, and in the joint plan of Gloucester, Cheltenham (the owners) and Tewkesbury (in whose land it lies), both of which have been approved by the SoS. That, coupled with support from cross-Party majorities of Councillors in all 4 Councils, ought to provide some protection against approval for wholesale alternative use. However, if there is a single landowner (public or private) who (collectively, Councillors or Board) wishes to stop operations, it's difficult to see how it could be prevented. And developmental approvals which incrementally reduce the operational usefulness, such as closure of a runway or failure to maintain surfaces...
A le Ron wrote:
flybymike wrote:Poor old wotsisname who tried every which way to get approval for a strip in North Yorkshire.

Bob Walker. He tried by being upfront, but perhaps should have been more successful had he used stealth and subterfuge.

On the surface, some of the complaints, such as spoiling the peace in a national park, seem valid.
However, go anywhere in Yorkshire of a weekend, and see how long you can go without hearing a motorbike screaming somewhere, with a footprint of a few square miles. You'd be lucky to go beyond a minute.