Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
johnm wrote:The fundamaental problem goes back to an error, never fixed, which had airfields designated "brownfield sites" when the intention was for existing developed curtilage to be brownfield.

er, not quite. A new Planning Guidance document was issued (by Department of the Environment and for England & Wales only, IIRC) which failed explicitly to preserve from a previous Guidance airfields (and, IIRC, large hospital sites and possibly others) as 'not previously developed' by default. This was swiftly (after representation from GA organisations, and MPs including mine after my contact) corrected by the Minister, that only the 'previously developed parts' of larger curtilages should be regarded as 'previously developed' for planning purposes; but (and this is where a loophole has been left for developers and friendly Councillors) that the determination of what that were the limits of those parts might be a matter for local decision or litigation. I still have a copy of the Minister's letter to my MP.
johnm liked this
According to AOPAUK magazine (page 12) received today, MCR have put Halfpenny Green up for private sale at £7.5m. Pilots club together?

Does that include the buildings close to the road entrance that generate rental income or is it only the airfield, that is a field?
By gregorp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
i guess its the whole lot. And it does have 3 runways , 4-5 hangars and ancillary buildings airside (Flying schools and maintenance).
i would have thought £3-4m nearer the mark. Of course, with residential planning permission x10.
Without knowing what is included in the sale, any guess on its value is exactly that, a guess.

Group purchase could easily be achieved, but previous threads have pretty much ruled that out, at least amongst the forumites here.
By cockney steve
Could it be......."Well, Planning committee, we've tried hard to sell it as a going concern, but despite intensive advertising, nobody's interested. We can't subsidise it much longer, so do we redevelop, or would you prefer a derelict eyesore with no rates-revenue? " :P
By peteranthonyday
That's the whole point; having Hangar Homes or Mixed-Use Hangars (for business & residential) helps to safeguard GA airfields and make them more sustainable because each requires an active runway. If these airfield owners seriously want to keep them, then they should have no problem in allowing these types of homes on the airfield. The problem is that most don't want to keep the airfield but want the option to develop the whole airfield in the future, which such homes effectively prevents.
Flyingfemme, flybymike liked this
By peteranthonyday
Having hangar homes on existing GA airfield does not guarantee that the airfield will remain operational, but certainly helps to safeguard it and make it more sustainable, as each one would have to contribute financially to the airfield operation for airside access. If in the future the airfield becomes a housing or industrial estate, then the building can still be used for residential or business with the hangar being used for cars, swimming pool, man-cave or whatever.
flybymike liked this