Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Fellsteruk
Hi

Any suggestions for friendly GA airfields near the lakes with somewhere nice to eat. All I can see is Kirkbride and Carlisle which isn’t too back about 20mins from the lakes, any other ideas.

Obvs this is for post covid lockdown etc just looking for ideas up that way.

Thanks
By Fellsteruk
No seaplane, not yet anyway :)

Thanks I saw cark but ruled out as likely would be weekend when they will be dropping so I doubt they would allow visitors would they? Not sure I’d want to take the risk “splat” :evil:
By RisePilot
I spent a few days flying around The Lake District in August making several landings in the area (helicopter though).

You’re correct with Kirkbride or Carlyle being your only (fixed-wing) landing choices – they are actually your only choices for Avgas north of Blackpool. My suggestion would be a landing at Kirkbride then a taxi (about 12nm south) to Armathwaite Hall at the top of Bassenthwaite Lake for lunch. This would be a nice outing with great views over the lake (pics of Armathwaite Hall below).

GeorgeJLA and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Thanks for the suggestion.

That looks like a great place they do afternoon tea and only a 30min taxi from kirkbride.

Fuel shouldn’t be too much of an issue as I’m coming from north wales and have 5 hours endurance so could Potter about land eat and get back with plenty reserve.

Something to look forward too especially at a time when there is newt else. :)
By Rob P
RisePilot wrote: My suggestion would be a landing at Kirkbride then a taxi (about 12nm south)

No chance! His wings would foul the hedges.

Rob P
JAFO, Kittyhawk, Iceman and 2 others liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:No seaplane, not yet anyway :)

Thanks I saw cark but ruled out as likely would be weekend when they will be dropping so I doubt they would allow visitors would they? Not sure I’d want to take the risk “splat” :evil:

I would have thought that welcoming you on parachuting days is not a problem, no? I don't know Cark but I've never had any issues flying in to parachuting sites before. Canopies are only in the air for so long and whilst they are not there is enough time to do what you need to do. I'd say to give them a ring in advance and see what they say - and make sure you tune in and talk to them as early as you can to gain and give them situational awareness.
Having said that I just looked at the Pilot's notes on SkyDemon (other apps are available) and see someone saying 'not advised' but whether that is just his opinion or the actual attitude of the operator I don't know. Searching the web it appears not uncommon for people to have flown in.
The phone number given in SD is the same as the one given here: https://skydivenorthwest.co.uk/contact-us/
By Charles Hunt
Get a strip machine and land on the Hotel lawn. With the owner's permission of course.

Edit - Looks at picture again and notice that is just what the helicopter has done. :oops:
Iceman liked this
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
There are quite a few more strips around the lakes than there ever used to be:

Berrier, Glassonby, Bedlands Gate,
Troutbeck and the gliding site at Skelling Farm (900mtrs) which may provide options depending on the OP’s aircraft type, permissions etc.
By VRB_20kt
Cark are welcoming even on drop days. Expect to fit in with the parachuting ops. Talk to them beforehand about what to expect and by radio on arrival and all should be well.

What are you flying?
By Charles Hunt
Just a note on parachute dropping airfields.

I was based at Old Sarum for a while when there was regular parachute dropping and never felt it was really a problem. As soon as the parachutists were all on the ground everyone was free to taxi/depart/approach/land. Once the drop aircraft had landed there was probably 10 or 15 minutes as the next lot was loaded, it would then take off (in turn with other traffic) and spend another 10 mins climbing to altitude with normal ops continuing through this time, and then it was only when the chutes were in the air that other traffic was restricted on taxi-ing or flying in the circuit/overhead.

I've been into Headcorn as well and very similar.

In short, in my experience, if somewhere is parachuting you might lose 5 mins/hr operation, but no reason to stay away.
By insink
"There are quite a few more strips around the lakes than there ever used to be:

Berrier, Glassonby, Bedlands Gate,
Troutbeck and the gliding site at Skelling Farm (900mtrs) which may provide options depending on the OP’s aircraft type, permissions etc."

Skelling farm afaik is winch only but Soaring the ridge is fun... go and see them !
Last time I was there they weren't welcoming motor gliders so I doubt other power would be an option.
Kevin
By PeteSpencer
Same when Old Buckenham had the parachutists:

They had a local rule (yep I know they're only A/G :evil: ) that when parachuting was in progress you had to request engine start up before planning to depart.

Never caused me any problem , though OB is off my Christmas card list now.
Rob P liked this
By proteus
As has been mentioned there are quite a few options if you can cope with grass and have a suitable machine.

For Avgas your only choice now is Kirkbride. I don't believe carlisle is open or actually has 100ll anymore.