Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:It’s the same on commercial flights into Aus or NZ - if you get fruit during the flight and don’t consume it, you will get done for “importing” it when you land.

It's the same in the USA too.

Where they have fruit sniffer dogs to root out the contraband.
By Charles Hunt
johnm wrote:It's the issue of having to meet single market standards to ship stuff into it.

The issue is that this (non) story isn't about "shipping" substantial quantities of stuff for onward sale distribution and consumption by consumers in a different location, it's about a sandwich.
By johnm
Charles Hunt wrote:
johnm wrote:It's the issue of having to meet single market standards to ship stuff into it.

The issue is that this (non) story isn't about "shipping" substantial quantities of stuff for onward sale distribution and consumption by consumers in a different location, it's about a sandwich.

Doesn’t matter restrictions apply just as much to personal items.
RisePilot liked this
By skydriller
For all those mentioning that "well, there might be diseases and germs and you wouldnt want some rogue insect or plant to get in" seem to be missing the point that

a) its a sandwich
b) it wasnt a problem last week.

I dont give a flying fig if its "the rules". Its bloody stupid. They should be occupied with more important things than sandwiches - like stolen rotaxes, as someone has already mentioned, and normally their bosses would want this too, one would hope, because if they dont, then there are bigger problems.

This means it was a deliberately targeted action to make a point about Brexit.
Anyone with half a brain should be able to see that.

Regards, SD..
By romille
skydriller wrote:
I dont give a flying fig if its "the rules". Its bloody stupid. They should be occupied with more important things than sandwiches - like stolen rotaxes, as someone has already mentioned, and normally their bosses would want this too, one would hope, because if they dont, then there are bigger problem.

Regards, SD..

Exactly, they are so preoccupied about making a point regarding Brexit and sandwiches/fruit that they are possibly missing illegal substances, guns and all sort of other contraband that might be secreted in some vehicles.
Last edited by romille on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
By kanga
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:..

It is the same between US and Canada (slightly different rules in each direction)...

.. and has been at time for internal but interjurisdictional between US and between Aus States/Territories, when there has been a perceived phytosanitary need in one to protect its produce from something known to be flaring or endemic in another. These rules can be enforced by State Troopers with State agricultural officers at roadblocks on major highways. At these, in US at least, to stop, to interrogate and potentially to search vehicle and even persons are allowed. We experienced one of these when travelling as a family from Nevada into California. All very quick and courteous (quick conversation, explanatory leaflet given), but clearly seriously meant. I don't know if the Maryland tags on the car and trailer, or maybe the fact of the camping trailer suggesting prior or intended visits to campsites in agricultural areas, were the reason for being selected for the stop, to which not everyone was being subjected.

In the US there are also State laws forbidding the personal imports from another State of items legal in the latter, including fireworks and firearms. While 'arbitrary' searches of border crossers for such is unConstitutional, those stopped and searched for any other reason may face State charges if such items are found.

At the moment, of course, internal travel of persons between some States/Provinces/Territories both of Australia and of Canada is forbidden by the human health and quarantine rules of the potential receivers. This would be unConstitutional in the US, I assume.
By patowalker
skydriller wrote:Im intrigued as to how/why you have a screenshot of a deleted post?
Impressed!! I havent been able to do that.. !!

'cause he knew it was going to be deleted and took the screenshot before it was. :)
By Josh
Most countries non-EU have been the same for years. It is however I suspect an element of point making but as ever, don't get caught!

The Americans have gone through fits of checking for years, but you do have to sign paperwork to say you aren't importing as part of your arrival and if they catch you with an orange you'd forgotten about at the bottom of your bag it's a fairly expensive (I think $500-1000) experience as some colleagues of mine have found out..
By johnm
It's worth remembering that being a third country can be quite complicated. While access to Schengen and the single market are relatively uniform, other aspects of life are controlled by 27 independent states and that means it is possible for a 3rd country citizen to be looking at 27 different policies on any other matter including picnics :-)