Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
Morten wrote:Here's another example of how things can diverge (bio hazards can arise...) after brexit which will lead to arguments to restrict the free flow. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... mpaigning/ or, depending on your political views here: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... eu-farmers .

This is nothing to do with Brexit - we could have done those authorisations before as part of the EU, and various EU countries have authorised on a short term basis that specific pesticide for that specific purpose since the rule came in. It was requested a few years ago in UK by the growers and rejected. This time they requested the authorisation for a much reduced use which was approved.
kanga, shortstripper liked this
By patowalker
ThePipster wrote:Questions:

Does anybody at what point you are deemed to have entered the EU?

If banned products remain airside in your aircraft are they deemed to have been imported or are they still outside of the country you are visiting?

Pipster

You enter the EU and Schengen in France, so no Customs in Spain. I very much doubt Customs at Calais or Le Touquet will cause hassle. Both those airports and towns are keen on UK visitors and their business. I suspect that by the time we are able to fly there, only random Customs searches will be made to ensure the new regulations are not abused.

BTW does anybody know how many of the lorry drivers that were stuck at Dover for days tested positive for C-19?
By riverrock
patowalker wrote:BTW does anybody know how many of the lorry drivers that were stuck at Dover for days tested positive for C-19?

24 out of 10,000 by Christmas day: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/ ... ts-239846/

The tests are now done in centers all over the UK from what I understand.

The problem is - what to do with them if they do test positive hundreds of miles away from home:
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belf ... d-19589371
patowalker liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
patowalker wrote:BTW does anybody know how many of the lorry drivers that were stuck at Dover for days tested positive for C-19?

36 was the number published as of Boxing Day.
By riverrock
Artschool wrote:just goes to show how petty they are. they will be measuring bananas next for straightness. :mrgreen:

To be fair - it was the UK that asked the EU to test for that. The bananas that we grow are especially straight so we needed the EU to keep up the standard.
kanga liked this
By oldbiggincfi
riverrock wrote:
Artschool wrote:just goes to show how petty they are. they will be measuring bananas next for straightness. :mrgreen:

To be fair - it was the UK that asked the EU to test for that. The bananas that we grow are especially straight so we needed the EU to keep up the standard.

Somebody will come up with a banana tree growing in their back garden next to the Italian Spaghetti bush .
By ChrisGazzard
A few months ago we had an exec flight arrive from Switzerland. About 15 Border Force officers showed up with a few dogs. They were training ahead of Brexit, and we're happy to support them.

They wanted to go through everything, so I brought the passengers and a couple of officers to our building so they could do it in privacy whilst the aircraft was pulled apart on the ramp by the rest.

They started putting some cheese into a clear plastic bag. I asked why they were taking it, and they said because you couldn't bring POAO in from Switzerland, because it wasn't the EU. I was pretty sure because SWI is Schengen this wasn't the case, and the passenger started kicking off because he was travelling from his home in France, but flew from a Swiss airport.

So along comes the officer leading the training who waves a leaflet at me and shows how POAO may not come into the UK from outside the EU. I pointed him to read the next paragraph on his page where it said something along the lines of: "For the purposes of POAO, Norway, Switzerland, Channel Islands (and others) are deemed to be part of the EU". Of course that will have now changed.

The cheese was handed back.

But this has made me think about how I handle stuff coming into the UK - going to have to do some research!
By Rob L
Bill McCarthy wrote:It’s the same on commercial flights into Aus or NZ - if you get fruit during the flight and don’t consume it, you will get done for “importing” it when you land.

It's the same in the USA too.
By skydriller
romille wrote:I read that story, it is just a load of bo11ox, I think it is just jumped up officials trying to make a point about Brexit. Personally, I think the truck drivers should have scoffed the offending items rather than allow them to be confiscated.

I saw the film and it certainly looked like officials "making a point" to me.

I say this because I approached dutch customs in schiphol on one of many trips back from the middle east about bringing back Saudi Dates one Christmas because I had seen one of these "border patrol" TV shows and was worried... they could not have been less interested and said something to the effect of "we wont get upset if you only bring in a pack or two as presents, dont worry about it"...

So yes, deliberate action to make a point and get a story in the press.

Regards, SD..
By johnm
It's the issue of having to meet single market standards to ship stuff into it.

That means it has to be certified in some way. So plant material will need phytosanitary certificates and animal material something similar.

As far as the EU is concerned the UK is now little different from the USA and other third countries. Moreover since the deal was struck only a week before it was implemented, the exceptions will not yet have been trained into the processes and so operatives will default to standard 3rd country treatment until any subtleties are clear on the front line.
By skydriller
No, its about getting a story in the press.
Did you actually see the footage?
It was just sooooo obvious.

If it wasnt for COVID, then Brexit would be the Big Story.
T6Harvard liked this