Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
Having noted a higher than usual military activity I checked NOTAMS and all local areas were cold. That surprises me. I'm curious if anyone noticed NOTAMS relating to the below activity?

By Charles Hunt
1) Cold? Blooming freezing more likely!

2) As we are leisure pilots no one will have been looking at NOTAMs as not flying due Covid restrictions.
By MattL
I thought NOTAMs were only issued for unusually high intensity flying ie Exercises rather than routine day to day activations?
By Miscellaneous
@MattL throughout the Scottish Highlands there are numerous restricted and danger areas which, for 5 yrs or so, have changed from being NOTAMd cold to being NOTAMd hot. This has been a much welcomed change and has opened up significant areas to our end of GA, particualry R610 A/B/C/D. :thumright: I thought maybe there would be similar in the other areas listed.

I am surpsrised that the flying activity I quote above did not result in the said areas being NOTAMd as active.
Last edited by Miscellaneous on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
Ha! When I was training in early 1990s In EAnglia at Ipswich , RAF Woodbridge ,RAF Bentwaters (US AF A10 s 10 miles) RAF Wattisham 15 miles, RAF Honington 20 miles , RAF Lakenheath , (USAF) RAF Mildenhall (USAF) RAF Coltishall 30 miles were all active within a 40 mile radius .Didn’t bother with the (sparse) Notams:

They were all assumed active :The air was thick with tin and the occasional C150 got splatted.

We studes were told in no uncertain terms : ‘ Get above 2000 ft as fast as possible and stay there’ :wink:
kanga, condor17 liked this
By 2Donkeys
PeteSpencer wrote: We studes were told in no uncertain terms : ‘ Get above 2000 ft as fast as possible and stay there’ :wink:

I think that advice is probably still useful even now (ignoring COVID for a moment). Many GA pilots seem to think that a nosebleed will ensue above 2000 feet and therefore stay low. The likelihood of collision once above 2000 seems to drop dramatically.
T6Harvard liked this
By Lefty
2Donkeys wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote: We studes were told in no uncertain terms : ‘ Get above 2000 ft as fast as possible and stay there’ :wink:

I think that advice is probably still useful even now (ignoring COVID for a moment). Many GA pilots seem to think that a nosebleed will ensue above 2000 feet and therefore stay low. The likelihood of collision once above 2000 seems to drop dramatically.

I proactively adjust my routing so as to be able to fly as high as practicable, primarily because it is less crowded (lower collision risk) and secondly, I fly a Cherokee 6 with a 1700 fpm glide, so from 2000’ , I’ve got just over 70 seconds before I am in a field.

For example routing from Waltham to say Duxford or Old Buck, I will route north via WCO and Cranfield rather than the shorter Wycombe - BPK - BKY where I would have stay below 2400 for most of the trip. It adds a few miles, but it reduces both hassle and risk.
2Donkeys, Stu B liked this
By PeteSpencer
Of course there is significanfly less fast military tin about now in E Anglia: In my above list only LKH and MLD (unless you count the Watt eggbeaters) are active.

When I first joined our group our strip was under the Honington downwind of the massive LKH/MLD/HON CMATZ. (Honington now only activated by Notam)..

With mobile phones in their infancy with lousy (analogue) reception at our strip and our a/c VHF radio not reaching HON ATC from the ground, getting airborne with Tornadoes screeching about the place was a bit of a lottery, so a frantic call to HON from 100ft on the climb out was called for.

The plus side was that when HON Tornadoes left they left the HON ILS active under C & M for a number of years.

Peace was only disturbed once again after the Gulf War when Lakenheath decanted temporarily to Honington while they repaired the chewed up runways at LKH.
condor17 liked this