Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
French-Canadian lads, as it turns out:
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=147935
Aircraft over banked turning downwind resulting in loss of longitudinal control . After two loss of control events the pilot attempted a downwind landing , stalled at 8-10 followed by right wing contacting runway. Aircraft was demolished at impact. Contributing factors were runway thermals , wind excessive for this type, pilot's lack of familiarity with wing warp early flight characteristics, and pressures to complete the flight .

Elsewhere I have seen it said that this was the replica aircraft's first flight (after 5 years and 4,000 man hours to build) and the pilot's first time in such an aircraft.
It certainly seemed to 'wallow' and run out of airspeed, with dropping its tail as it turned downwind about halfway through the video.

Later in the same downwind there seemed some pretty vigorous wing warping inputs as judged by light reflected off the wings outlined against the sky.....................

Lets hope the two owners of the restoration outfit have better luck with the second Blériot they are building :wink:
First aider arrives ....on a bike.
What a shame, good to see that the pilot got out OK.

If that really was the first flight then it was, I suggest, rather unwisely flown. If it was me, I'd have taken it up a couple of thousand feet (or as high as it would go) and explored the handling cautiously and incrementally, especially given the roll-control system.

As I say, what a shame...
I'd be interested to know what engine was fitted: It sounded pretty meaty the couple of times it passed the camera, unlike the Bleriot I saw at OW eons ago one still summer's evening, I think with an original or copy of original engine:
That purred quietly like my granny's sewing machine...... :wink:
By tr7v8
PeteSpencer wrote:I'd be interested to know what engine was fitted: It sounded pretty meaty the couple of times it passed the camera, unlike the Bleriot I saw at OW eons ago one still summer's evening, I think with an original or copy of original engine:
That purred quietly like my granny's sewing machine...... :wink:

Someone on that thread suggested Rotec?
Dave W wrote:Rotec radial.

Ah! 110 HP -Rotec 2800-cf. the Anzani 25 HP! :roll:

For some reason this accident has really fascinated me: The pilot's alleged unfamiliarity with wing warping and the massive control inputs: It looks like the massive wing twist applied to correct possible turbulence produces so much drag/yaw it stalled the entire Right wing seconds before the crash.....

But, hey what do I know........................ :roll:

Peter :wink:
By kanga
Dave W wrote:French-Canadian lads, as it turns out:

<drift :oops: >

.. a common solecism. I recall long ago a storyline in The Archers where a number of Ambridge folk go on an exchange visit to a 'twinned' village in France. Clarrie Grundy discovers and falls in love with the 'French' singer Roch Voisine, as regularly repeated, buying and constantly replaying a cassette of his songs. But he's an Acadien from Nouveau-Brunswick (the only officially bilingual Province):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roch_Voisine

</>
[further drift]
Did he migrate to Louisiana and start cooking Cajun (Acadien)food.....?

ref Ep 1 of Nadiya in America recently broadcast featur ing Acadien origin Cajun family living in the swamps fishing and cooking filé gumbo on the decking. :wink:
kanga liked this
By kanga
PeteSpencer wrote:[further drift]
Did he migrate to Louisiana and start cooking Cajun (Acadien)food.....?

<still further drift :oops: >

Cajun (Louisiana) French is a fascinating dialect. Influences include various Caribbean Creoles.

It's also interesting to me how Voisine became popular in France. There was a time when French music producers seemed reluctant to promote anyone with a regional, let alone non-Metropolitan, accent, unless they were native non-francophones (eg Petula Clark :thumright: whose residual British accent can be apparently chic or even snob ).

But a few years ago the French Eurovision entry was sung in Corsican :thumright:

</>