Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
I guess that I’ve read too many accident reports of wings falling off in flight after apparently innocuous collisions with only such things as hay bales, and with no apparent damage. Consequently, this degree of damage to a wing looks to me to be beyond the realms of sensibility when it comes to flying it out, however remote it may be.

Iceman 8)
By Rob L
Iceman wrote:I guess that I’ve read too many accident reports of wings falling off in flight after apparently innocuous collisions with only such things as hay bales, and with no apparent damage. Consequently, this degree of damage to a wing looks to me to be beyond the realms of sensibility when it comes to flying it out, however remote it may be.

Iceman 8)

Hay bales was a wooden wing in the UK with radio recording (Kemble & Filton, if we're on the same AAIB sheet).
That super-cub has metal wing spars which have a different fracture/failure process (and if they had failed in flight in Alaska, we would not know about it, either because there were no witnesses, or because there were no witnesses :!: ).