Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Whilst I was a little bit cynical back in the summer of people playing the ‘engine health’ card during warm and low humidity weather, realistically so they could just go flying, I have to admit that the next few months are the months the engines really could do with regularly getting up to proper temperature, and airframes dried out in some fast airflow.
mick w, 2Donkeys, skydriller and 2 others liked this
By Stu B
Indeed. There's nothing to stop you employing your maintenance organisation or other suitably-experienced professional pilot to fly it for you, they will be working on a task that cannot be done by "working at home". (But in your personal case, @TheFarmer as you fly as a means of achieving work of your own that cannot be achieved by you working at home, the issue does not affect you, your necessary work-related flying will provide your solution.)
By MattL
A direct flight, moving your own aircraft to/from a maintenance organisation is entirely legal and in accordance with the guidance on obtaining a service from a business that is permitted to continue in operation. It is not recreational flying which is what the legislation is trying to restrict. Why on earth a fellow pilot would have an issue with people doing that is somewhat beyond me.
By marioair
peter272 wrote:Sadly, for this lockdown at least, the engine health flights aren't allowed for 'leisure pilots'. If it starts to drift towards March, that may well change.

Not true
peter272 wrote:Sadly, for this lockdown at least, the engine health flights aren't allowed for 'leisure pilots'. If it starts to drift towards March, that may well change.

Have you read the guidance? Do you think the critical safety requirements of engines operated by 'leisure pilots' are any different to the critical safety requirements of engines operated by pilots at work?
By peter272
Engine health and maintenance check flights can only take place where there is a critical safety requirement to do so, and alternative options are not available.

I don't, but as the airfield is shut, even for engine health flights, not a lot of use. I could do a flight, but then I'd be looking for a new home, shortly afterwards.

My understanding is that there will be a review mid-February, so we'll have to wait and see
malcolmfrost wrote:Don't put your intentions on an internet forum then :D

Our member, having spoken to and got the agreement of all members, actually contacted the CAA and spoke to a human regarding the safety aspects both of the snags and engine safety risks due to inactivity.

.............Deleted..............

However I will heed your advice and will refrain from further comment on an internet forum.
MattL wrote:A direct flight, moving your own aircraft to/from a maintenance organisation is entirely legal and in accordance with the guidance on obtaining a service from a business that is permitted to continue in operation. It is not recreational flying which is what the legislation is trying to restrict. Why on earth a fellow pilot would have an issue with people doing that is somewhat beyond me.

More piffle. Engine maintenance health yes, positioning from one place to another unless you use your mount for work - no.
A4 Pacific liked this
Engine maintenance health yes, positioning from one place to another unless you use your mount for work - no.

I imagine it might be a little problematic for us hobby pilots to attempt to claim we are using our toy for ‘work’?
So if your problem is stopping a hobby pilot having the slightest bit of enjoyment flying an aircraft for maintenance, how about aircraft owner requests maintenance organisation to do some maintenance work (e.g. the Annual) and the maintenance organisation makes their own arrangements directly with a professional pilot to ferry the aircraft to the maintenance facility.
The ferry flight to be insured by the maintenance organisation. i.e. the whole movement is work by professionals.

There you go, no hobby flying occurred, and the aircraft gets looked after to maintain it in a safe flying condition for when the nation comes out of lockdown and the rules that are declared at some future date unambiguously allow hobby flying. Cheaper than having to buy a 20k+ engine for one that gets corroded to death through lack of use in many months of damp conditions. Maintenance organisation could also attend to airframe corrosion so it does not fall apart the first time someone attempts proper general handling refresher training.
Why on earth a fellow pilot would have an issue with people doing that is somewhat beyond me.

As I keep saying, maybe because they’re part of the ever-growing breed of anonymous people here who don’t actually fly, and can’t bear the rest of us doing it? :roll:

So, actually, they’re not exactly fellow pilots at all?

But.........they’ve got a Silver subscription to FR24, did three hours gliding with the air cadets when they were sixteen, and once went up to talk with the captain for 10 minutes on their way back from Faro in 1992. So they’re qualified to berate the rest of us. Ok?
2Donkeys, Nick, Lockhaven and 1 others liked this