Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 8
By rdfb
#1818470
BoeingBoy wrote:The only caveat was that in no way should the flight be operated in any leisure capacity.


This bit gets to me. I can fly if required for maintenance, but I'm not allowed to enjoy it? Why can't I take the scenic route? What objective difference would this make to infection control?

The same goes for Government COVID-19 GA guidance which says that "flights, where conducted, must be kept to the minimum duration possible". Why? I get the "should land at the same airfield from which they departed" because this reduces infection risk. But the length of a flight clearly has nothing to do with it.

All this kind of stipulation does is continue to reinforce my impression that the "guidance" is being made up by jobsworths with no basis in law. There's nothing in the law that limits the length of time you're allowed to be outside your home; only the purpose for which you're there. Nor is there any kind of limitation like this in any guidance produced the Government, as far as I can tell, except for the GA guidance.

I get the argument that we should try to avoid upsetting others, as much as I disagree with it. But it's even worse for this to end up in official government guidance; this kind of motivation has no business there.
Last edited by rdfb on Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By kanga
#1818504
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:..

If a GA Aircraft had "Air Ambulance" written boldly on the fuselage and underside of a wing ....


Skywatch members can get a logo in the form of a crest to affix to their aircraft. It's quite small though .. :wink:

http://swcap.uk/assets/images/wacap-black-240x300.jpg
By Nick
#1818573
TheFarmer wrote:I’ve had a few messages going back and forth in the last 48 hours that

Just saying, because it’s starting to get on my t1t5. . :roll:

PS Oh, and if you’re one of those snidey FR24 chaps who play for the Cambridge University Netball Team*, get a life and go and count the scratches on your clipboard.

* Work it out.

Heavily snipped....

@TheFarmer So much better than I could have said. Hear hear. :thumright:

Nick
By Lefty
#1818581
Nick wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:I’ve had a few messages going back and forth in the last 48 hours that

Just saying, because it’s starting to get on my t1t5. . :roll:

PS Oh, and if you’re one of those snidey FR24 chaps who play for the Cambridge University Netball Team*, get a life and go and count the scratches on your clipboard.

* Work it out.

Heavily snipped....

@TheFarmer So much better than I could have said. Hear hear. :thumright:

Nick


Seconded !
#1818730
I intend to do my one hour a month as per Lycoming's SL180B but am wondering if it's better to go over the 30 days and wait for warmer weather or crank the engine in the near zero temperatures currently at play. I've really only managed an hour or two per month since last summer. I'm not keen to inhibit the engine as I wan't to keep the aircraft in service for charitable purposes.

I'm guessing waiting for milder conditions is better rather than worrying about a week or two's extra down time.
By ozplane
#1818747
It's probably worth taking the battery off as they lose charge quite quickly in the very cold weather. If you keep it on trickle charge it will be ready for the "1 hour flight" when the weather warms up a bit.
User avatar
By BoeingBoy
#1818760
That's the one penalty of the last year's inactivity. I put a Concorde battery in four years ago and it's done sterling work starting the aircraft throughout but I'm now noticing that the fuel flow indicator is switching off during start due to lower capacity. I have to recycle the master post start to get it back online. My annual's due in April so I suspect a new battery will be on the shopping list.

It's been charged a couple of times in the last two months but my hangarage facility is not able to offer full time trickle charge as they might have to move the aircraft if needs be. They're very helpful though.

As per everything else. It's justifying the drive over to put the charger on if Plod doesn't see things the same way.
By proteus
#1818776
BoeingBoy wrote:I intend to do my one hour a month as per Lycoming's SL180B but am wondering if it's better to go over the 30 days and wait for warmer weather or crank the engine in the near zero temperatures currently at play. I've really only managed an hour or two per month since last summer. I'm not keen to inhibit the engine as I wan't to keep the aircraft in service for charitable purposes.

I'm guessing waiting for milder conditions is better rather than worrying about a week or two's extra down time.


It's not ideal to have a colder engine and oil. Are you able to preheat it a bit by a fan heater and a duct? Given it's not that cold (around freezing) I'd rather be flying it regularly than letting it sit.
#1818846
Do we know how Maintenance Operations are Faring ?
Are they struggling for work and if so should they be supported by us ( owners).
At one time almost all airfields had some sort of Maintenance facility for GA.
Times have changed , meaning aircraft have to moved for work.
Losing those that are left because of a lack immediate business isn't going to help when flying gets back to something like normal .
Scrabbling for serviceability , when aircraft are most needed won't be fun !
#1818850
I've just this morning moved my aircraft from Cambridge to Little Staughton - which will be its new home. The 'excuse' for the flight was maintenance (some is immediately required), but as others have written here, both Cambridge and IAE (the operators of Little Staughton) were happy for the flight to go ahead and so was I.

I am comfortable defending it should anybody feel that it infringes any rules!
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 8