Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Sure, but I get Charlie 66's point. The brakes are designed to stop +/- 200kgs of scooter and person. Not +/- 2000kgs.

Very interesting Top Gear episode when the three musketeers were each given a grand to buy and soup up a car to race it. All three bought bangers, but then Clarkson and May spent the balance on increasing power. Hammond spent his balance on improving the brakes. Counter-intuitive but absolutely the correct thing to do.
Should be fine My electric golf tug, designed for 4 US porkies will stop our one tonne arrer dead in its tracks.

It's all to do with grip/tyrepressure/tyre width.: The two wheeled hand steered electric tugs will stop 2000kgs no prob.
By mossie
Interestingly (to me anyway), I repaired a pretty much brand new scooter which had been "left" for a few years. Mice had got teeth into a few cables, including the ones for the brake.

This was at the end of the motor and was nothing more complicated than a friction disk clamped or not by the action of solenoid. Sort of on or off working. I think gentle braking - ie demand less power via the controller, just used what I think was once called "back EMF".

Anyway, stopping from full tilt (8mph) was never an issue with me on it (100kg and change).

Interested on how this goes !
By Aerials
Lefty wrote:The “Donkey” can easily pull 5-10 ton wheeled objects - eg small - medium aircraft and ground equipment.
To start it:
1 turn the steering handle fully left
2 insert the starting handle through the hole in the steering handle and connect with the starter dog on the (Donkey) engine.
3 use your left hand to pull the little compression release valve on the engine
4 once engine is turning, release the decompression ring

I seem to remember them in RAF Ground Equipment Blue. If the engine was cold, before (1) in the starting sequence, we had to unscrew a small piston from a cylinder and fill the cylinder with OM15. Slowly pushing the piston back into the cylinder before screwing it tight must've injected the OM15 into the engine cylinder. Whatever, it made the donkey start more easily! Stopping (iir) was simply a matter of dropping the steering handle and using the de-compressor.
I remember an Engineering Officer trying to pull an Andover once - it wouldn't, damaged the clutch. I wonder if there are any of these still in regular use?
PeteSpencer wrote:..
How do riders of mobility scooters stop them?

Ah! brakes of course.............. :lol:

.. or, in some cases, collisions .. :?

https://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/mobili ... 5-in-2018/
cockney steve liked this
By Lefty
Aerials wrote:
Lefty wrote:The “Donkey” can easily pull 5-10 ton wheeled objects - eg small - medium aircraft and ground equipment.
To start it:
1 turn the steering handle fully left
2 insert the starting handle through the hole in the steering handle and connect with the starter dog on the (Donkey) engine.
3 use your left hand to pull the little compression release valve on the engine
4 once engine is turning, release the decompression ring

I seem to remember them in RAF Ground Equipment Blue. If the engine was cold, before (1) in the starting sequence, we had to unscrew a small piston from a cylinder and fill the cylinder with OM15. Slowly pushing the piston back into the cylinder before screwing it tight must've injected the OM15 into the engine cylinder. Whatever, it made the donkey start more easily! Stopping (iir) was simply a matter of dropping the steering handle and using the de-compressor.
I remember an Engineering Officer trying to pull an Andover once - it wouldn't, damaged the clutch. I wonder if there are any of these still in regular use?

You’ve got a good memory. I had forgotten the cold start procedure, but if yours were painted blue, it shows that you were a later generation. In my days (1966-77) most ground equipment was painted bright yellow (to stop pilots running into them :lol: ).
On icey days we sometimes had to get a few guys to sit on the “Donkey” to try get some traction.
By Aerials
You've got me thinking now Lefty. I remembered the cold start and I'm prob 90 on the colour. I'm pretty sure yellow didn't reach my little patch of Coastal Command until I left in 1968 but was in use on my next posting. Apologies for the thread diversion, normal service may be resumed!
Aerials wrote:You've got me thinking now Lefty. I remembered the cold start and I'm prob 90 on the colour. I'm pretty sure yellow didn't reach my little patch of Coastal Command until I left in 1968 but was in use on my next posting. Apologies for the thread diversion, normal service may be resumed!

@Aerials - check your PM’s
Aerials liked this