Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulSS
I don't know what mark of Seneca it is in this case but I do know that on the Seneca 1 the ailerons and rudder were inter-connected (for the engine failure case) and when you put in a boot full of rudder (like taxying) the ailerons would go the same way. Maybe that's what's happening here; a boot full of right rudder and the ailerons go right.

PS: Yep, right decision. It would be different (in my opinion) if life or death were involved but, for a bimble, no need to risk something that makes you feel uneasy.
A le Ron liked this
By MattL
Cracking piece of Threat and Error Management, well done! It is the most difficult thing to scrub a flight when you have travelled in and got aircraft out etc and I have mates that aren’t here today because they pressed on. There is also value in the whole travel, prep and start up etc in keeping you in the ‘zone’ for currency anyway.
A le Ron, T6Harvard liked this
By proteus
It sounds as if the airfield was taking the decision away from you if they were going to close the runway. However, as you were unsure and there was no pressing need then you made the right choice for you. I've spent hours at the strip waiting for weather to lift / improve. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. But it's always easier to be stuck on the ground wishing you were up than vice versa.

We've had some pretty good days recently, so I'm sure there'll be another one soon.
By A le Ron
Bill McCarthy wrote:My old Fergie 35X sounds better than that Port engine !

Struggled into life. Very cold weather, but I probably over-primed it. It settled nicely when leaned out!
Airframe is icing on the ground
Weather is deteriorating
Runway is icing
Airfield is going to close leaving you one less option

Sounds like holes in the Swiss Cheese forming.. Probably not the worst of things, but even if the airfield was to remain open, you probably made the right choice. The left engine seemed to take all of its 30 seconds to come alive - Should that have become the next hole in the Swiss Cheese and line up, you just have a few more factors working against you...
T6Harvard, Nick, JAFO liked this
Surely a lot depends on pilot experience and qualifications and aircraft de-icing and navaid capability/availability.

For a day VFR pilot, preparing to fly at 14:30 with sunset at 16:00 (L) doesn't leave a great deal of time for fuelling/flying.

I've sprayed de-icing fluid onto a Warrior and moved it into the sun early to mid morning but that is at a time of day when with the sun out you can expect the temperature to hold steady or rise, and for the sun to keep off any ice formation.

Without de-icing on the aircraft, then with ice forming, and the sun going down then I'd be straight back into the hangar and off to a pub with a roaring fire. [Where did that last bit come from, some sort of folk memory?]

On top of that, what were the temperature and dew point? I'd guess pretty close if the air was saturated enough for ice to form. (Is that true?). I'd guess they were pretty close, so with the afternoon temperature dropping as the sun descends you could quickly have fog forming and loss of runway availability - even if the airfield itself didn't close the runway.

At the other extreme, if the pilot is night and fully IFR qualified and current, the aircraft has FIKI capability, and all the Nav/landing aids are fully functional and you have fuel to get to an operational major airfield (with ILS) plus a diversion then off you go if you need to (currency?) or want to because you would enjoy the flight and the possible landing fees at the diversion airfields. Or alternatively adjourn to the pub.

Edit- Gone back to the video, no sign of de-icing boots on the a/c. Pub.