Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By kanga
Are US pilots with a sub-ICAO 'recreational' PPL and sub-ICAO medical (or PMD equivalent) allowed to fly their N-reg aircraft (Certified or 'Experimental') into Canada, does anyone know ? Are there Canadian (TC) equivalents ?
By patowalker
Validation is required to fly a US reg LSA in Canada. "The bad news is TC still requires a private pilot certificate with a valid medical."

A Recreational Pilot licence would be useless anyway, because pilots are limited to flights less than 50 nautical miles from their departure airport.

The TC equivalent of the Sport Licence is the Advanced Ultralight Pilot Licence, I believe.
kanga liked this
User avatar
By Irv Lee
Edward Bellamy wrote:Irv I was merely questioning (leaving aside historic privileges etc, which should be preserved) whether there is any real utility to be gained from having the LAPL(A) and NPPL(A)+SSEA as a separate licence from the PPL if it were possible to have a PPL with a PMD. The LAPL has the appearance of being a simpler/cheaper licence to get but in reality does it make any difference? Whenever someone asks whether they should do the PPL(A) or LAPL(A) the answer always seems to be there is little saving from the latter since the basic competencies required are the same and since they tend to be taught on similar aircraft the training required is likely to be similar. But perhaps not everyone would agree?

I agree for students started from scratch - if they can get a class 2 medical, the chances are they would be better off going ppl - of course their club mighy only have lapl instructor capacity so there might not be a simple choice anyway. My point is not about new starters, it is needs sensible progression uninterrupted paths for existing pilots to fly G reg part 21 and non part 21 aircraft,
At moment, an existing experienced nppl-m flying a Eurostar wanting to chug around in a C150 requires a FULL licence course, a new medical, exams and all, plus flight test The same guy can leap into a fast RV and speed round the UK after very little extra training, 2 ground exams, and a flight test. Why can't he/she chug around in a C150 without many £1000s spent, months of time, and loads of ground exams and a new medical?
Edward Bellamy liked this
By Bathman
Actually that's not quite true. There are exceptions to obtain a lapl from an nppl(SSEA).

Part-FCL easy access rules FCL.110.A.LAPL(A) states FCL.110.A LAPL(A) – Experience requirements and crediting Regulation (EU) 2018/1119

(a) Applicants for an LAPL(A) shall have completed at least 30 hours of flight instruction on aeroplanes or TMGs, including at least:
(1) 15 hours of dual flight instruction in the class in which the skill test will be taken;
(2) 6 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 3 hours of solo cross-countryflight time with at least 1 cross-country flight of at least 150 km (80 NM), during which 1 full stop landing at an aerodrome different from the aerodrome of departure shall bemade.

(c) Crediting. Applicants with prior experience as PIC may be credited towards the requirements of point (a).
The amount of credit shall be decided by the DTO or the ATO where the pilot undergoes the training course, on the basis of a pre-entry flight test, but shall in any case:
(1) not exceed the total flight time as PIC;
(2) not exceed 50 % of the hours required in point (a);
(3) not include the requirements of point (a)(2).