Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Have a look here.... https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

They have removed reference to tiers. It is simply Lockdown and what that means now.

Once they lift the lockdown, whenever that may be, they said they would re-introduce tiers and we will have to wait and see if they drop it to tier 4 everywhere or some of the lower tiers in different parts of the country, all dependent on the scientific data at the time of course.
(I generalise as Scotland, Wales, NI might do there own thing again)

The legislation itself though puts the whole country in Tier 4 and closes more businesses.

Lockdown = Tier 4
If you follow the link "the law", you discover that this means Tier 4. Though with a few more restrictions, such as no gyms.

Interestingly the word "essential" doesn't appear anywhere. The test is "reasonably necessary" to achieve one of the listed purposes.

Once you have a suitable justification for leaving home, the only distance restriction is not entering a lower tier area.

The guidance is just how its authors would like you to behave, and doesn't match the law.

Then there is the Home Secretary, whose Radio 4 interview this week shows she's doesn't understand the difference (she probably hasn't read either). Or Michael Gove on Radio 4, deciding on the hoof that if you pause your exercise you can't sit down. Or Derbyshire police identifying herbal tea as a forbidden picnic.

What I'm doing is obeying the law, and considering (but not necessarily following) the guidance. Sometimes I restrict myself further than the guidance, sometimes less. I do so on the basis of the risk I create for others and myself. That's how it's supposed to work.

If you want to fly lawfully, work through the Tier 4 Schedule to the legislation. If you fit a lawful excuse, you can do so. Then decide whether you should do so, not the same question.

For those with insomnia, this is what to read:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... chedule/3A
Cardinal Sin wrote:The legislation itself though puts the whole country in Tier 4 and closes more businesses. Lockdown = Tier 4

& @JAFO I think it is important to define 'whole country'. :wink:

The whole of the UK is not in fact even in Tier 4, nor do I believe the Scottish Tier 4 and recently added English Tier 4 are equivalent. :wink:
Or Michael Gove on Radio 4, deciding on the hoof that if you pause your exercise you can't sit down.

Tough titty on those with arthritis or angina.

Once you have a suitable justification for leaving home, the only distance restriction is not entering a lower tier area.

If we are currently all in tier 4 with no lower tiers, then there can be no travel restrictions, or are there in fact still lower tiers?
Miscellaneous wrote:
Cardinal Sin wrote:The legislation itself though puts the whole country in Tier 4 and closes more businesses. Lockdown = Tier 4

& @JAFO I think it is important to define 'whole country'. :wink:

The whole of the UK is not in fact even in Tier 4, nor do I believe the Scottish Tier 4 and recently added English Tier 4 are equivalent. :wink:

... which probably the reason they dropped the reference to tiers in the link I provided which is what the media point the general population at, as do the Gov on their TV briefings.
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Have a look here.... https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

They have removed reference to tiers. It is simply Lockdown and what that means now.

Once they lift the lockdown, whenever that may be, they said they would re-introduce tiers and we will have to wait and see if they drop it to tier 4 everywhere or some of the lower tiers in different parts of the country, all dependent on the scientific data at the time of course.
(I generalise as Scotland, Wales, NI might do there own thing again)

Have a look here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/8/contents/made

This is the legislation passed last week. They "amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020 to strengthen the Tier 4 restrictions, and to apply those restrictions to every area in England".

What you're looking at is guidance.
Miscellaneous wrote:The whole of the UK is not in fact even in Tier 4, nor do I believe the Scottish Tier 4 and recently added English Tier 4 are equivalent. :wink:

Misc, you are absolutely spot on, that why I ended my earlier post like this:

JAFO wrote:There was very little in the new legislation, just some quite minor strengthening of the Tier 4 rules which now apply to us all in England.
Miscellaneous wrote: Of the 9 days of 2021, 7 have been flyable.

Pretty much the same here. Unfortunately we had alot if rain in the previous 2 weeks on top of a very high water table and our aeodrome is a bit soggy.
Hopefully this week I'll get airbourne.

Regards, SD..
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:As we are in national lockdown with its own set of rules, continuing this Tier 4 thread is pointless as it just blurs the distinction about what can be done in lockdown rules and tier 4 rules.

How about starting a new forum topic relevant to the current national lockdown rules for a bit more clarity!

If we eventually come out of lockdown and into Tier 4, it is a possibility the Gov will have redefined the Tier 4 rules so that is probably a whole new topic of discussion anyway when the time comes.
:wink:

Tier 4 is politically speaking different to what we are now under, but legally speaking the lockdown was facilitated by applying tier 4 to the entirety of England and making a handful of tweaks to the existing tier 4 restrictions (e.g. the removal of the defined reasonable excuse of outdoor recreation).
tripacer wrote:Thanks to all the information here from experts.

If I understand correctly, leisure flying is now allowed only if you go fishing when you land (as pointed out a few pages back, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55587460). Have I got that right?

Remember it has to be an open cockpit aeroplane as well. And you should land it in a nearby open space.

(I do know that the situation is actually rather serious but I find it helps to laugh about something...)
tripacer wrote:Thanks to all the information here from experts.

If I understand correctly, leisure flying is now allowed only if you go fishing when you land (as pointed out a few pages back, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55587460). Have I got that right?

I'd like an Aviat Husky on floats, then I can leave the door open on the way and land on the water before fishing from the floats - all perfectly legal, I reckon. :thumright:
JAFO wrote:..on floats, then I can .. land on the water before fishing from the floats ..

ahem, 'alight' :) Hence 'alighting gear' (before the neologism 'undercarriage' came into use), as explained to me as an Air Cadet a scary number of decades ago :wink: