Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mikehallam
From 1 April 2021, a new application process will be available to pilots, instructors and examiners who wish to obtain a UK Part-FCL licence based on a European Part-FCL licence. Further guidance regarding this process will be published in due course.

A general validation, which will enable holders of EASA Part-FCL licences to continue to exercise their privileges on G-registered aircraft, is now available on our dedicated microsite to download.

Additional information for flight crew licence and medical holders has been published on our microsite: https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-eu-transition/
By Genghis the Engineer
Well good news, I'm now proud owner of a very shiny Irish CPL, with my CRI and Aerobatic Rating on it.

Bad news, CAA seem to have failed to tell them I had an IR.

A strongly worded email has been sent to Gatwick !

Hopefully I can fly G-reg part 21 aeroplanes continuously on my UK CPL as that has embedded IR(R) privileges, since that was on my UK issued EASA CPL, but is no longer listed (for entirely understandable reasons) on my IAA CPL. Otherwise CAA have just removed my ability to fly IFR, since they haven't added my IR - passed early October onto my UK CPL either.

And this took 3 months. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

G
By Full Metal Jackass
PeteM wrote:My reading of things (with a little help from a certain AME) is;

UK aircraft and UK ppl - ok to go foreign. You can even get the aircraft fixed by one of those untrustworthy foreigners - so long as it is then checked within a week by a sterling UK licensed engineer!

UK ppl and foreign aircraft - needs to be validated (easy in Canada and USA just visit their offices with the paperwork) not easy in EASA. You need to do (I think) the exams (potentially in local language) and have >100hrs and test.

So I am in the process of SOLI to IAA. I left it late, emailed them and they said so long as they had all of the 'stuff' by 31 Dec OK. So hopefully the CAA have done their bit and sometime in the New Year I'll have an IAA EASA license - to join my UK one - which is no longer valid as an EASA license, but is ok as a UK one.

I just love this 'taking back control' stuff, massive admin just to try and retain things I already had and these political numbskulls trashed.......

So your easiest option in Bulgaria is probably fly with an instructor, or an EASA validation/transfer.

When I went to have my EASA licence validated in the US to get the FAA licence piggy backed back in 2018, it wasn't as straight forward as you think. They also introduced a new system whilst I was there, in fact I was their first candidate and they got mightily confused trying to sort the paperwork so it's not all greener on the other side.

But thanks to this thread, at least I know now that I can still fly G reg aircraft in UK on my German issued EASA licence until at least the end of 2022, thanks to the declaration of the CAA. Now all I need to do is ensure I can actually travel ;)

For those like me with a non CAA (EASA) licence, the validation is here
By Hollman
FMJ,

I've seen this validation referenced several times as evidence that it allows the use of a non-CAA EASA licence on G-Reg aircraft in the UK. I don't think it does - the opening sentence refers to operating 'outside of the United Kingdom'.

I'm still looking for the document that says I can use my non-CAA EASA licence operate my G-reg in the UK.
By MattL
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Well good news, I'm now proud owner of a very shiny Irish CPL, with my CRI and Aerobatic Rating on it.

Hopefully I can fly G-reg part 21 aeroplanes continuously on my UK CPL as that has embedded IR(R) privileges, since that was on my UK issued EASA CPL, but is no longer listed (for entirely understandable reasons) on my IAA CPL. Otherwise CAA have just removed my ability to fly IFR, since they haven't added my IR - passed early October onto my UK CPL either.

G

Your UK national CPL is not valid for Part-21 aircraft. You will need to apply for a UK Part-FCL CPL when they become available from 1 Apr 21.
By Full Metal Jackass
SteveC wrote:Try this....

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CE ... DATION.pdf

The U.K. ANO AUTOMATICALLY validates ICAO licences IN the U.K.

That was exactly the form I linked but the main objection was due to the fact that it states

The United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) renders valid, for the purpose of operating an aircraft on the United Kingdom “G” register outside of United Kingdom airspace,

and doesn't actually validate EASA licences for flying G Registered aircraft within the United Kingdom Airspace so if you could link me the ANO automatic recognition for inside UK airspace, I'd be grateful.
Hollman liked this
By SteveX
Ive completely lost track of what people here have asked, what they want, what they want it for, and what the perceived problem is. Why do people make things more complicated. I have a UK and EASA UK license and can fly G reg anywhere. |What on earth do people in UK want beyond that and why. Yes I have an FAA also for holidays in USA, wouldnt dream of hiring in Europe, I'd just go there in a G reg.

Expense, stressful emails, failed applications, round in circles with authorities and forums. Did anyone actually do any flying covid restrictions aside or just get a hard on from endless paperwork?
By G-BLEW
Steve X wrote:What on earth do people in UK want beyond that and why.

I used to hire D140s from the aeroclub at Megève, I've also rented from the aeroclub at Mende. It may not be of interest to you, but that doesn't mean it's not of interest to anyone else.

Ian
By Lockhaven
SteveX wrote:Ive completely lost track of what people here have asked, what they want, what they want it for, and what the perceived problem is. Why do people make things more complicated. I have a UK and EASA UK license and can fly G reg anywhere. |What on earth do people in UK want beyond that and why. Yes I have an FAA also for holidays in USA, wouldnt dream of hiring in Europe, I'd just go there in a G reg.

Expense, stressful emails, failed applications, round in circles with authorities and forums. Did anyone actually do any flying covid restrictions aside or just get a hard on from endless paperwork?

Well there’s the thing, unless you have applied to SOLI your UK EASA license then in fact you don’t have one anymore that’s valid.
By SteveX
Despite spending most of my time in East Europe the EASA thing doesn't affect me. So you are saying (your bold above) my UK issued EASA license is no longer valid to fly G reg aircraft to eg France today?!
By Lockhaven
SteveX wrote:Despite spending most of my time in East Europe the EASA thing doesn't affect me. So you are saying (your bold above) my UK issued EASA license is no longer valid to fly G reg aircraft to eg France today?!

My understanding which maybe wrong, is that the UK EASA licence is no longer, but if you applied to SOLI your UK EASA licence to another member state prior to 31st December 2020 it remains valid until the your new licence is issued by the new NAA.

There is this link that would suggest you can, but to be honest the whole thing is a mess.

https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-eu-transition ... al-pilots/
By Genghis the Engineer
MattL wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Well good news, I'm now proud owner of a very shiny Irish CPL, with my CRI and Aerobatic Rating on it.

G

Your UK national CPL is not valid for Part-21 aircraft. You will need to apply for a UK Part-FCL CPL when they become available from 1 Apr 21.

If you are correct, then CAA have really screwed things up, as I had an IR(R) that was on a UK issued EASA licence that has now been destroyed to issue me with an Irish issued EASA licence that does not contain that rating.

And in fact if you are correct, at the moment only a PPL holder can hold an IR(R), not anybody with a professional licence, as CAA refuses to put IR(R)s on those, as they consider them to be embedded.

Barking, absolutely barking.

It would be a fun prosecution if CAA decided to prosecute me for flying an IAP, as they lost my IR, I've been required to surrender the CPL that had an IR(R) on it to be replaced by a foreign one that doesn't, and (if you are correct) I apparently can't fly a G-registered aeroplane with a UK issued and ICAO compliant professional licence.

G
By G-BLEW
SteveX wrote:Despite spending most of my time in East Europe the EASA thing doesn't affect me. So you are saying (your bold above) my UK issued EASA license is no longer valid to fly G reg aircraft to eg France today?!

It is fine. At some stage you/we may/will need to change it to a UK licence.

Ian
By SteveC
Full Metal Jackass wrote:
SteveC wrote:Try this....

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CE ... DATION.pdf

The U.K. ANO AUTOMATICALLY validates ICAO licences IN the U.K.

That was exactly the form I linked but the main objection was due to the fact that it states

The United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) renders valid, for the purpose of operating an aircraft on the United Kingdom “G” register outside of United Kingdom airspace,

and doesn't actually validate EASA licences for flying G Registered aircraft within the United Kingdom Airspace so if you could link me the ANO automatic recognition for inside UK airspace, I'd be grateful.

Your EASA licence is issued in accordance with ICAO standards.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indust ... -airspace/