Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
Thought a few of us might want to compare how things are going.

I applied to IAA to SOLI my EASA CPL from UK on October 6th and CAA to transfer records a few days earlier on September 29th, today (December 23rd) I got an email confirming it's been issued and will be sent to me on receipt of my EASA licence and medical.

(Absolutely no idea if the IR I applied to add to my UK and EASA CPLs on October 12th and I'm still waiting to see will be on it!).

This raised a question in my mind, which hopefully somebody knows the answer to? Like many people I've a separate UK licence. Is my, now Irish, EASA medical valid for that - or do I need to quickly sort myself out with a separate UK medical?

G
By rich_g85
Hi G,
Somewhat off your topic but may I ask your reasons for SOLI'ing away from the UK CAA? Is it a form of insurance against Brexit?

Thanks
Rich
By skydriller
Bit late in the day isnt it? Most of us did SOLI a couple of years ago!! :wink:

At the beginning of this year (and as I was told until dec31st2020) your EASA medical from any EASA country (with full details including original notes sent to aeromedical) is valid for both UK PPL licence renewal / validity and any EASA licence held. I know this because I did a SOLI to France in 2017/2018, ensured I had a UK PPL issued first, and was assured I was all legal after 2 years on my UK PPL having sent my EASA class 2 medical from France to the CAA and got a sign off from a UK Examiner in February this year before all this C19 bolleaux hit the fan... :thumleft:

Fir my own piece of mind, I did chase the CAA to confirm everything by phone and I got the impression that they werent really 100% on the ball as to why someone who had done a SOLI had sent in a bunch of UK paperwork and foriegn medical stuff, despite covering Emails etc.... But having got hold of someone that understood my call, all was confirmed by email in 24hrs... :thumleft:

Regards, SD..
By Rob L
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Thought a few of us might want to compare how things are going.SOLI

G

Well what on earth is SOLI :?: :|
I understand IAA is the Irish Aviation Authority.
By rich_g85
Rob L wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Thought a few of us might want to compare how things are going.SOLI

G

It stands for State Of Licence Issue, or change thereof in this case. And that's really the limits of my understanding hence my question!
By SteveC
Rob L wrote:

G

Its something that those who want to fly outside of the confines of EGBG and in the big wide world do in order to retain some European wide privileges....... But then you are a really bright guy Rob and already knew the answer........ ;)
By Rob L
SteveC wrote:
Rob L wrote:

G

Its something that those who want to fly outside of the confines of EGBG and in the big wide world do in order to retain some European wide privileges....... But then you are a really bright guy Rob and already knew the answer........ ;)

Thanks for the compliment, Steve, but I did not know.

I won't fly in Europe any more . To be honest I don't care about EU privileges; I do hope to fly in the USA again.

Rob
Last edited by Rob L on Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Genghis the Engineer
rich_g85 wrote:Hi G,
Somewhat off your topic but may I ask your reasons for SOLI'ing away from the UK CAA? Is it a form of insurance against Brexit?

Thanks
Rich

I have a commercial licence, I occasionally get hired to do ferrying, instructing and test flying. I wanted to hang on to the right to do that in the EU or in EU registered aeroplanes based in the UK, I also have a standalone FAA CPL/IR for the same reason.

I already have a standalone UK CPL of course (which hopefully will have an IR on it soon! )

G
rich_g85 liked this
By SteveC
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Incidentally, this came out yesterday.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1453.pdf

Basic summary, if you SOLI from the UK to somewhere in the EU, and have a valid EASA licence and class 1 or class 2 medical, you are exempt the requirement to hold a UK licence until the end of 2021.

G

Actually..... that's some really interesting wording. Its states if your licence is issued after 31/12/20 as a result of a SOLI then you are exempt. However its not possible to SOLI after the 31/12/20..............
By AndyR
Good luck adding existing ratings to your UK CPL, Genghis. I’ve had an absolute ‘mare and still not resolved. May just take the type rating test again, it would be easier and quicker.
By Genghis the Engineer
AndyR wrote:Good luck adding existing ratings to your UK CPL, Genghis. I’ve had an absolute ‘mare and still not resolved. May just take the type rating test again, it would be easier and quicker.

If in doubt, I'll set SteveC on them, that'll frighten anybody into submission.

G
AndyR liked this
By SteveC
AndyR wrote:Good luck adding existing ratings to your UK CPL, Genghis. I’ve had an absolute ‘mare and still not resolved. May just take the type rating test again, it would be easier and quicker.

Andy, give me a call tomorrow. Its not QUITE as complex as you think....... I will talk you through it.
Flyin'Dutch', flyguy liked this