Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
MattL wrote:I don’t think an accident is relevant - only if significant injury is suffered? (By whatever means) ?

That is not what it says on form 160.

I realised afterwards that the wording and document reference are on everybody's medical certificate (duh!)

No specific reference to an accident, various other conditions yes, including "significant personal injury, "significant illness", or "been admitted to hospital or medical clinic".

But the implication would appear to be that you can total the aeroplane or car, but if you can make it home in good condition without having to go via a hospital, there's no requirement to report it to your AME.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:But the implication would appear to be that you can total the aeroplane or car, but if you can make it home in good condition without having to go via a hospital, there's no requirement to report it to your AME.

Seems reasonable to me. Are you suggesting that this outcome is unintended?
My experience with any government agency is the more you keep quiet the better. Had a complete nightmare with the DVLA.
The medical unit at the CAA have actually been very helpful the one time I asked which cleared my DVLA issue. Anyone worried about being tracked or controlled by the "big government" i really would not worry. Seeing them operate they would struggle to organise a F*** Up in a B*****l fun relaxing party at a reputable parlour.
Flying_john, Ben K, tr7v8 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Harringtonflies wrote:Surely the CAA would contact your AME for infomation if you were in an aircraft accident (as part of their investigation process) ?

The medical records of pilots who have fatal accidents get reviewed by the CAA; in my experience they never contact AMEs in accidents were there are no fatalities.

The AME is also contacted if there are significant concerns about people's wellbeing.