Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I remember being at Cannes airport once, by this time in the bar overlooking the runway, and seeing one of my other Commander owners departing for nearby Fayence, having dropped me off. He’d disappeared out of sight and then a few minutes later appeared taxiing back across the apron to the runway holding point, WTF, I thought. It transpired that as he’d accelerated down the runway, his seat had slid back and he was in a rather precarious position. He managed to get the throttle back and stop in the remaining runway. I think that he needed a few beers when he got to Fayence :D.

I’ve been very conscious of seat locking ever since.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nero (~Scott) that video of yours looks OK to me...a bit for the camera, perhaps, but just what the pilot intended.

But the OP video reminds me of the Baghram 747 cargo crash where the heavy vehicles slipped their moorings. And of another 206 crash in Africa which was overloaded on a Medivac, causing multiple fatalities, also on YouTube but I don't know how to find it.

There is also another one where the pilot seat came unlatched (a C152 I think) on You Tube in the USA on a training flight, fatalities on that one too.
So to the OP flyingeeza, you are quite right; check the cargo and check the seat security (there are Cessna ADs on seat rails for good reason!)
Iceman liked this
Those of us that remember instructing in the PA23 Apache recall the seats never locked and what's more had a leather strap on the door handle to stop it vibrating open.

Made for some interesting actions at times when it was best not to have to.

Anybody considering to give G-ARJU a new home should take that into account .
PeteSpencer wrote:I always wonder in these 'en la sierra' type videos, how many props they get through in the course of a season.......................... :roll:

When I flew on a trip with Goana in Australia in 2003, they expected their fixed-pitch metal props to last 500 hours due to the strips they were using. Normal TBO: 1700-2000 hours.

Rob