Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Dave W wrote:"For crying out loud, Wilbur - what possible use is something that only carries a person from one part of the beach to another?"

Did Wilbur ask that a huge chunk of land be fenced off "just in case" he decided to go to the beach though?? It appears every little drone op requires a huge swath of airspace to be restricted. This cant continue as drone ops increase. Its obvious from the various EC threads on here that cheap ADSB has its limitations, so isnt the complete answer, despite some thinking its a panacea.

Regards, SD..
Stampe, townleyc liked this
skydriller wrote:It appears every little drone op requires a huge swath of airspace to be restricted. This cant continue as drone ops increase. Its obvious from the various EC threads on here that cheap ADSB has its limitations, so isnt the complete answer, despite some thinking its a panacea.

The CAA view is that manned and unmanned aviation has equal rights to the sky. 'Cheap' ADSB may not be the answer to integration, but properly functional ADSB combined with avoidance algorithms probably is. The assumption is that the UAS will do a better job of avoidance than the human but obviously it has to 'see' the conflict before it can take action.

So to answer your point, the requirement for segregated airspace will be gone once GA (in all its many forms) is suitably equipped to share airspace with UAS (or grounded).
Iceman, Nick liked this
Still not convinced this is a sustainable project, but an interesting start.

I wouldn't risk high-value anything over that route in something as small and probably slow as that UAV. In the summer months the helicopter and Skybus service is so regular it makes more sense to use those.

Eg how many trips would be needed to bring a case of Scilly gin?

I do wonder what size of UAV they intend to scale up to.
terrybarr wrote:I had always assumed that any drone which was to be used for any serious purpose would have auto land as a matter of course.

I'd gathered that Reapers/Predators (also used by RAF) needed a qualified 'pilot' at base for control during t/o and landing. Happy to be corrected.
Stampe liked this
kanga wrote:
terrybarr wrote:I had always assumed that any drone which was to be used for any serious purpose would have auto land as a matter of course.

I'd gathered that Reapers/Predators (also used by RAF) needed a qualified 'pilot' at base for control during t/o and landing. Happy to be corrected.

That is my understanding also.
First autoland and auto-takeoff (ATLC) of the MQ-9 Reaper was in 2018, so they can do it. Open sources show that the capability has been further enhanced since, e.g. last year to allow diversions to other airfields which don't have the typical RPAS ground infrastructure in place.
kanga, Iceman liked this