Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:Some 'GA' types have been armed and used in conflict :roll: .. 'warbird' experience ? :wink:

Some of the African Bulldogs were armed, though no one asks too closely about what they were used for... :shock:

(some of the Swedish ones were also armed, some for practice, some as light ground attack and tankbusters, but were never used in combat)

So did you decide on anything Josh?
We have some thoughts for 2022. I am really drawn to the bigger multi crew types as being able to fly from an “operating” seat as opposed to the two seat spitfires/mustangs really appeals to me.

Not knocking the latter at all either - I suspect my raw flying ability (or lack thereof) suits heavy metal more than fighters anyway!
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By SafetyThird
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not warbirds but for something off the beaten track, another bush flying place is https://www.andoverflight.com/index.php I spent a a few days with Damian in 2005 learning the supercub and flying it down firebreaks and into tiny little strips was absolutely the most fun I'd ever had flying. It was my last flying until I bought my skyranger this summer and it's surprising how quickly it came back.
Josh wrote:We have some thoughts for 2022. I am really drawn to the bigger multi crew types as being able to fly from an “operating” seat as opposed to the two seat spitfires/mustangs really appeals to me.

Not knocking the latter at all either - I suspect my raw flying ability (or lack thereof) suits heavy metal more than fighters anyway!

B29 and/or Ford Trimotor at Oshkosh?

No idea what it cost them, but my CFII where I did my IR in the USA had a B29 type rating - a present from his kids! He was extremely proud of it.

G
One fun thing about the FAA in this respect is you can get SIC only type ratings - Panchito the B-25 it’s c$6k for Groundschool, flying and check which includes some “proper” stuff including circuits and SE handling. You then have your type rating - very cool indeed.
Dave W liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..

(some of the Swedish ones were also armed, .., but were never used in combat)

So did you decide on anything Josh?

</nerd>

er, yes, they were. Not by the SwAF, but by the Biafrans in the Nigerian Civil War:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_MFI-9

(ALAT, the 'Army Air Corps' of French Army, had Piper Tripacers. ISTR reading that some in Djibouti (when it was still a French colony as 'TFAI') were at one point locally armed as a precaution, although with what I don't know)

</>
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
kanga wrote:er, yes, they were. Not by the SwAF, but by the Biafrans in the Nigerian Civil War:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_MFI-9

That's not a Bulldog! :D

ah, apologies :oops: .. I had thought you were talking about 'Swedish-built primary trainers' not 'SwAF Bulldogs'
I’ve flown in a few different aircraft.

The top 2 favourite aircraft were a Spitfire TR9, where I was allowed to fly some aero’s myself.

Paul’s Bulldog. We flew no aero’s, but it’s such an iconic machine, I’m not sure Paul knows how much I enjoyed that flight, so I must mention it here. It was on a par with my Spitfire flight.

The other recommendation I’d make to the OP is tail chasing with Ultimate High.
I did that twice, you’d not regret it, and it’d go down in your treasured flights memories.