Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I have a landmark birthday coming up in a wee bit and have been exploring flying experiences and so on I could “suggest” to Mrs Josh or combine with a holiday. Given the genuine dream of a Mosquito isn’t available, I have thought about the more “usual” Spitfire or P-51. I recently found out it’s possible to get an SIC type rating in a B-25 (here if anyone’s interested) at similar sorts of prices. Does anyone know of any other more interesting warbirds it’s possible to get stick time on?

Here or the US - anything within the compass of a reasonable dream. Even if it is a bit pie in the sky, thinking about it will brighten up my lockdown!
T6Harvard liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Josh wrote:I have a landmark birthday coming up in a wee bit and have been exploring flying experiences and so on I could “suggest” to Mrs Josh or combine with a holiday. Given the genuine dream of a Mosquito isn’t available, I have thought about the more “usual” Spitfire or P-51. I recently found out it’s possible to get an SIC type rating in a B-25 (here if anyone’s interested) at similar sorts of prices. Does anyone know of any other more interesting warbirds it’s possible to get stick time on?

Here or the US - anything within the compass of a reasonable dream. Even if it is a bit pie in the sky, thinking about it will brighten up my lockdown!

Plane Sailing were looking for new shareholders - warbird but unless they've still got the depth charges, possibly not of the aggressive kind.
T6Harvard liked this
I would exert some patience and wait until you can go to Florida.

Take the family, get a villa, enjoy the State - only Spring or Autumn - and go visit Stallion 51 at Kissimmee.

I have flown Crazy Horse 3 times, they treat you like an adult, assess your experience and give you a lot of opportunity to fly. You will fly the Mustang most of the flight if you are handy and have some experience......

Alternatively, fly the T6 first and then fly the Mustang.

A very good organisation that are extremely professional and competent.
Stampe, Ophelia Gently liked this
By BoeingBoy
I flew in the jump seat of Panchito (The B25) a few years back and it's a fantastic experience. The noise level actually broke the microphone on my iphone.

Having already flown the T6 and P51 what made that ride so memorable was the experience of how frightening it must have been to be a young all American kid sitting in the greenhouse or the turrets looking through a thin perspex sheet at the entire Japanese Air Force coming at you whilst armed with a peashooter. I came away realising that the real heros in WW2 were the bomber crews not the fighter jocks.

I've also flown with Boultbee who I would recommend but these days the Spitfire ride industry has become a little sanitized with strict protocols and limits applied. Mine was done in the days when it had to be called 'type rating training' which left a lot of opportunity to explore the aircraft's operating envelope..... :lol:

If you want to head down the top gun route there are several jet operators across Europe and the States who will offer flights in types such as the L39. But if you want the ulitimate jet ride then I've yet to see this offer be beaten for sheer ultimate thrill factor.

https://www.flyfighterjet.com/edge-of-space-flight

Not sure what's happening on the jet ride scene in the UK but you could contact North Wales Military Flying Services at Chester and ask if they would consider a ride in the Strike Master.
Last edited by BoeingBoy on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh wrote:I floated the idea of a share at some time in the future roast time one was for sale but it didn’t go down well. Let’s just say a one off has much higher chance of approval. Much to my regret!

If that relates to the Catalina you can become a Redeemable Shareholder which seems to be a years membership for £5,000 plus flying at cost - https://www.catalina.org.uk/becoming-a- ... areholder/
By Ben Twings
You can get a Mig 29 flight up to 60-70,000' with Migflug plus a variety of other (mainly Eastern bloc) offerings.

Not warbird, but I had a great time doing CC Pocock's back country and STOL trainingcourse at Calnevari in Southern Nevada. I used my own aircraft, but he can also do it in his stripped down Cessna 170 (equipped with nitrous injection). I've also done some training with Tac-Aeroin the Columbia river gorge and a variety of Cubcrafters' aircraft in their fleet.
By T6Harvard
Or....... closer to home - training and an excursion to do beach landing, Inverness to Barra. Fab scenery, a novel experience, family could holiday in the area. Should work even if covid restricts international travel.

https://highlandaviation.com/pages/beach-landing-course

The trip across from Inv to Barra is stunning, too :mrgreen:
JAFO liked this