Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
... although, interestingly, the link says local tiered restrictions apply from 2 December.

My wife and I both received emails today from the (LTA affiliated) tennis and (FA affiliated) football clubs we belong to respectively confirming we can start playing and training on Wednesday, 2 December.
2Donkeys wrote:Yes. All you need to know is on the Government Website

Broadly, you can fly again from the 3rd in line with the restrictions applicable to your Tier.

But Wednesday is the 2nd of December. What does "from the 2nd of December" mean?
If it means after 2359z on 2nd December, then no you can't fly on Wednesday.
If it means after 0001z on 2nd December, then yes you can.
I suspect it's the former (but surprisingly I can't find that in writing anywhere).
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Overflight wrote:Key point is if you are in a Tier 2 area you must not fly to a Tier 3 airfield/area and if you're at a Tier 3 airfield/area you can only return to that same airfield

Sounds like SD needs a chart overlay.

TimD? :D
TopCat, AlanC liked this
November Romeo - do you have the publication date for the information in your screenshot?

On the basis Joe Public should not be expected to look up the legislation itself but be able to rely on guidance published on the gov.uk website, the published guidance is unclear.

The following all appear on the same gov.uk webpage published on 23 November:

“Guidance
Local restriction tiers: what you need to know
Sets out the local restriction tier system that will be in place from Wednesday 2 December, including what you can and cannot do in each tier...

The current national restriction rules are still in place until 2 December and must be followed until they expire...

In September and October, the virus spread rapidly in all parts of the country. The government responded with new national restrictions. These have brought transmission back under control. The government will replace them on 2 December with a regionally-differentiated approach, where different tiers of restrictions apply in different parts of the country...”

Based on that guidance, so far as the first paragraph is concerned, it is not unreasonable to conclude local restrictions apply from (0001) on Wednesday, 2 December.

The second paragraph is more ambiguous - until 2 December begins, or until it ends?

The third paragraph is slightly less ambiguous in my view and means whatever was in place will be replaced on (from the beginning of) 2 December.

Taken as a whole and assuming national and local restrictions should not both be in force on 2 December, I believe it is reasonable to interpret the guidance to mean that local restrictions will be in force on 2 December. Based on LTA and FA communications, they too have taken this view. This interpretation could, of course, all be wrong, although none of us should be placed in the position of having any doubts. All it needs is for the guidance to be clear and unambiguous! (I know, too much to ask)
“Yes, I just looked it up in the legislation. Lockdown is from 0001 on Thursday 5th November for 28 days.
So you can't fly until Thursday...”

Unless something new is enacted, or will be enacted to change the original end date, which could be the case - see my post above.
... and this from the Mayor of London’s website:

“Coronavirus: What you need to know

Last updated: Thursday 26 November

From Wednesday 2 December London will be in Tier 2.

[...]

Until the end of Tuesday 1 December England is still in lockdown and you must continue to stay at home and follow these guidelines.”
So, what about passengers?

The guidance on the page linked to earlier says:

No mixing of households is allowed indoors apart from support bubbles. A maximum of 6 people can meet outdoors.

It's neither indoors or outdoors (open cockpits excluded) and is clearly an enclosed space but then the guidance says:

If you cannot keep a 2 metre distance, reduce the risk by maintaining a 1 metre distance where possible, and taking suitable actions:

limit the number of people or households that come into contact with each other

and

On aircraft
Passengers must wear a face covering when on board aircraft in England.

This includes people:

flying as passengers in a balloon
on an introductory flight
flying on a cost-shared basis
People sharing piloting or flight crew duties don’t have to wear a face covering. However, face coverings are recommended to be worn by all individuals on aircraft, where social distancing is not possible, where it is safe to do so.

So, I'm taking that to mean that I can, subject to my own reasonable risk assessment, take a passenger flying.