Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Merry Xmas from the FAA!

Full details here

Compliance is 100 hours from 28th Dec this year. Many PA28s and PA32s involved. Cost circa £200 if no corrosion found.

Edit: unwanted extra '0' on price removed!
Last edited by 2Donkeys on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By G-JWTP
Adrian wrote:
2Donkeys wrote:Cost circa £2000 if no corrosion found.

$170 according to the AD, if you don't fit the optional inspection panels.

$170.00 in the USA = £1,000.00 in the UK

G-JWTP
Rob P liked this
By Dodo
I no longer have my Cherokee, but seem to remember that there was concern about the cost and availability of eddy current testing when this ad was first proposed.
Has that disappeared from the requirements?
By aerofurb
Iceman - Saratoga is a PA32(R)-301 and the SB and AD are only applicable to 'Hershey' bar wings, not tapered wing. So, applicable to -xx0, not -xx1 aircraft.

Dodo - I think you'll find this is a different inspection.
Dodo, Iceman liked this
By aerofurb
Tim

ADs apply to the State of manufacture (design) and the State of registry, so it does apply (for instance) to an American certified aircraft on the G register.

In time, it will appear on the EASA website for those aircraft types.

In the brave New World, perhaps the CAA will also produce an AD listing - or perhaps they’ll say go check the FAA/EASA websites.
Last edited by aerofurb on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By timjenner
Thanks - makes sense, even if rather unwelcome! Our shareoplane dodged the previous directives which followed the PA28 which lost a wing in the US after some huge number of landing cycles, at least this one doesn't appear too arduous.

Cheers,
Tim
By Charles Hunt
aerofurb wrote:
In the brave New World, perhaps the CAA will also produce an AD listing - or perhaps they’ll say go check the FAA/EASA websites.

Some say they will require a dull yellow metallic protective coating.
By PeteSpencer
I hunted without success for our model number (PA28R200) and serial 35xxxx before I clocked it was a different AD to the recent infamous ‘departed wing’ Arrow AD.

I wonder if retractables are not evidently included perhaps because they already have beefed up wing spars any way? I know our Arrow had a U/C wing spar attachment AD a few years ago.

Or is there another nasty surprise waiting in the wings for us?( no pun intended) :lol:
Stampe liked this