Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
The latest Sunny Swift cartoon is about spinning.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/easa-sunny-swift-flight-instructor-issue27-en.pdf

Teaching a spin recovery technique in a cartoon seems a bit silly to me. Failing to point out that not all aircraft have the same spin entry and exit techniques seems even sillier. I've always thought that these things were awful but this one seems totally pointless and maybe even positively dangerous.
T67M, Human Factor, gaznav liked this
By gaznav
At least this is one thing we’ll be rid of on 1 Jan 21!

I don’t know what it is with Regulators that makes it so hard to do aviation safety education. The old CAA safety evenings are a case in point, which took a quantum leap when GASCo asked some well-respected volunteers from the GA community to help as Regional Safety Officers and pull together the current safety evening programme. The CluedUp magazine was also equally poor in my view and failed to hit the spot (last seen in 2019 I believe?). The CAA Safety Sense leaflets are also woefully out of date and so give out incorrect advice.

Probably the best thing that the CAA has done in safety education terms is the Skyway Code in recent times.
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:Probably the best thing that the CAA has done in safety education terms is the Skyway Code in recent times.

And continuing to support GASCo in the provision of the Safety Evenings.
gaznav, ak7274 liked this
By nickwilcock
An updated version of the Skyway Code is in draft.

DURING LOW SPEED TURNS, AS WHEN TURNING TO BASE OR FINAL,
MAINTAIN A MARGIN ABOVE THE STALL SPEED, AND KEEP THE BALL
CENTRED.

Stall 'speed'? In a turn?? Surely the emphasis is on AoA these days?
gaznav, T67M, QSD liked this
By As I CFIT
DURING LOW SPEED TURNS, AS WHEN TURNING TO BASE OR FINAL,
MAINTAIN A MARGIN ABOVE THE STALL SPEED

This is what's wrong with stall/spin awareness training in my opinion. 100% of stall/spin accident pilots probably lost speed awareness prior to losing control, so what's the message? If you lose awareness of your ASI reading and you're slower than you think you are, there's nothing more that you can do . . . accept your fate? The speed message is useful to a point but it becomes useless quite early in the stall/spin accident process.
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ak7274 wrote:If you know the angle of attack, that might work, but without an AoA indicator, I will stick with stall speed

You have one. It’s just not on your panel. Be aware of your stick position and if it starts getting a long way aft of its normal position, you need to be thinking carefully whether that’s where you want it to be.
Trent772, gaznav, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By Crash one
I hope we don’t go down the “stall speed” route, we’ll have every aerobatic and instructor screaming about AofA.
I’ve often wondered what the “V” stands for in Vs :D
By Crash one
The sudden lack of speed, or distance from a solid object is what does all the damage, regardless of what angle the air is coming from. :D