Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Something I didn't know until I saw the (last surviving?) one in a museum a few years ago was that the Japanese had a version.

Back in the eighties me and 3 other blokes had to push that thing from one side of St Athan to the other the other cos nobody could find a towbar to fit (or somewhere to fit it)
Not a heavy aircraft but it was a long way
terryws wrote:Here ius a glide only Me163 replica flying

Terry

Now here's a funny thing. I've never searched for or watched any videos on YouTube about that aircraft or anything similar but that exact video showed up in my 'recommended' list on YT yesterday.
Sooty25 wrote:Does the LAA accept gas turbines?

ME163 mixed two liquids (I think conc. hydrogen peroxide and something even nastier) which reacted with each other in a violent exothermic reaction to generate thrust. Apparently a number of pilots perished due to fuel leaks and were partially dissolved in the cockpit. :shock:
robert79 wrote:

ME163 mixed two liquids (I think conc. hydrogen peroxide and something even nastier) which reacted with each other in a violent exothermic reaction to generate thrust. Apparently a number of pilots perished due to fuel leaks and were partially dissolved in the cockpit. :shock:

I was thinking of something a bit more practical, that you might just get at your average UK airfield!
robert79 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-Stoff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Stoff

I remember reading a book about flying the 163, I think it was called My first rocket flight to find myself. More than half a century ago so can't be certain of the title.
Eric Brown is quite detailed on the 163 in "Wings on my Sleeve" (Chapter 9 mostly). It used concentrated hydrogen peroxide (T-Stoff) and a "solution of hydrazine hydrate in methanol" (C-Stoff) - page 110 in my edition. He flew the 163A glider first. In the powered 163B he reached 32,000ft in 2.75 minutes, with a powered endurance of 4 minutes.