Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
#1809931
townleyc wrote:Wild boar?


KE

That's a big issue around these parts. Their tracks are not as neat as the ones in the photo, though.

From current NOTAM:
NOTAM ESAA FIR wrote:>>> ESGM/ORESTEN <<<

- AERODROME AVBL PPR H24 DUE TO WILD BOAR IN AREA
FROM: 06 NOV 2020 09:42 TO: 05 JAN 2021 10:00 EST ES/D0427/20

(It's not just now; that NOTAM is contiunously updated. Edit to add: There are similar NOTAMs for two other airfield in the country.)
#1809940
akg1486 wrote:
townleyc wrote:Wild boar?
KE

That's a big issue around these parts. Their tracks are not as neat as the ones in the photo, though.


Here too.

Hunting got restricted and wild boar numbers exploded leading to extensive damage to the runway such that for a couple of years we had to temporarily reduce the length of our runway and get electric fencing installed around the aerodrome.

Regards, SD..
#1809969
skydriller wrote:[W]e had to temporarily reduce the length of our runway and get electric fencing installed around the aerodrome.

An airfield 30 minutes north from our base, a frequent summer destination for us, also installed a low electric fence. So far, it's worked fine.

Wild boar became extinct in Sweden, but was reintroduced for hunting by the upper class. Predictably, some escaped and now they are a pest in southern and central Sweden.
#1809974
Just found these from before our airstrip at Knettishall was secured by gates and padlocks.
Image
Image
Image
This wasn't an accidental entry onto the strip: it was an evening's donutting and used to happen every week.......

Thankfully a thing of the past: If you look carefully you can see a bluelight flashing.......... :roll:

Peter

edit to avoid confusion.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1809992
PeteSpencer wrote:This wasn't an accidental entry onto the strip: it was an evening's donutting and used to happen every week.......

Thankfully a thing of the past: If you look carefully you can see a bluelight flashing.......... :roll:

Peter

I can just echo the thread title: "What is wrong with people?" :wall:

I find myself asking that question more and more often in many situations: perhaps a sign of getting old? :D
Shoestring Flyer liked this
#1810023
JAFO wrote:From the CPS:

Destroying or damaging property
Section 1(1) Criminal Damage Act 1971 - A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another, intending to destroy or damage any such property, or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged, shall be guilty of an offence.

This offence is triable either way – para. 29, Schedule 1 Magistrates’ Court Act (MCA) 1980.The maximum penalty is 10 years imprisonment - Section 4 Criminal Damage Act 1971.

Meaning of Property
“Property” in the Act means property of a tangible nature, whether real or personal – s.10. The Act requires proof that tangible property has been damaged, not necessarily that the damage itself should be tangible. Property includes land.


So, while trespass itself is not a criminal matter, the damage they have caused appears to be. Time to speak to the boys and girls and non-binary individuals in blue.


Criminality usually requires mens rea, which basically means here that the damage itself needed to have been intentional, and the prosecution would need to prove that beyond reasonable doubt.

That doesn't mean that you can't demand to be compensated. Just that it would be a civil prosecution, not a criminal one.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
#1810024
In the overall scheme of things, the damage in the photos exhibited above is minimal and would have vanished after another shower of rain. Nevertheless, it’s the wanton trespass that hurt perhaps.
#1810031
rdfb wrote:Criminality usually requires mens rea, which basically means here that the damage itself needed to have been intentional, and the prosecution would need to prove that beyond reasonable doubt.

That doesn't mean that you can't demand to be compensated. Just that it would be a civil prosecution, not a criminal one.


Of course, you're right, I just would have been so mad at the idiocy if it had been my land that I would have made all the noise I could to make them pay in some way. As you know, the literal translation of mens rea is "Guilty mind" and I think it would be hard to prove in a court of law that these cretins had any kind of mind at all.
#1810037
Bill McCarthy wrote:In the overall scheme of things, the damage in the photos exhibited above is minimal and would have vanished after another shower of rain. Nevertheless, it’s the wanton trespass that hurt perhaps.


Absoloodle: as I said in my first post it was surprising how quickly the grass recovered:

I’ve lost the original photos where great divots a foot long and an inch thick were ripped out: if these were stamped back in even a coupla days later they still recovered.

Now since gates/locks this mindless damage is just a memory: at the time it really pi ssed me off.......
#1810042
skydriller wrote:
akg1486 wrote:now they are a pest in southern and central Sweden.


I know... but they are really tasty pests... :pig: :thumleft:


I was on a flight to Luxembourg diverted to Brussels. The explanation was that Luxembourg was closed due to technical reasons. After a long delay, we taken to Lux by bus. Next day it emerged that wild boar had fled from hunters in a nearby forest and broken through the airport perimeter fence. Security and police could not deal with them, so the airport had to hire the same hunters (and their dogs) to despatch the tasty pests. :D
T6Harvard liked this