Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Not vandals, kids or scrotes scoping the place out. Someone who saw the vehicle said it was occupied by a middle aged couple who seemed to be just having a look around. Drove around the hangar then the full length of the runway as if inspecting it.

Registration and vehicle description noted, be nice if they offered to pay for the rollering.

Years ago, the army had a grass strip at Gypsy Hollow, Longmoor Camp. There were signs all round saying 'no vehicles allowed on the airstrip' but I went down there one day and there was similar damage to the otherwise immaculate grass surface.
From the CPS:

Destroying or damaging property
Section 1(1) Criminal Damage Act 1971 - A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another, intending to destroy or damage any such property, or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged, shall be guilty of an offence.

This offence is triable either way – para. 29, Schedule 1 Magistrates’ Court Act (MCA) 1980.The maximum penalty is 10 years imprisonment - Section 4 Criminal Damage Act 1971.

Meaning of Property
“Property” in the Act means property of a tangible nature, whether real or personal – s.10. The Act requires proof that tangible property has been damaged, not necessarily that the damage itself should be tangible. Property includes land.

So, while trespass itself is not a criminal matter, the damage they have caused appears to be. Time to speak to the boys and girls and non-binary individuals in blue.
Very weird. How did they manage to plough through hedges to get onto the grass. Was surprised they didn’t get stuck in mud at this time of the year.
In my days at Knettishall I caught one of them doing handbrake turns red-handed.

I very politely asked him to desist, explained why, and sent him on his way. He was most apologetic.

Thing is ... It was a police car :shock:

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', AlanC, Stu B and 4 others liked this
@Flintstone

I feel your pain. I have this pretty much weekly on crops and it makes me furious.

These days, some people seem to think they can drive wherever they want with the excuse of ‘sorry mate, I’m lost’ as if that makes it all ok.

PS Nice caravan. :D Looks like a 1984 Sprite. :wink:
Yep, criminal damage and also actionable as a damages claim in civil court. Assume cost will be within small claims limit, can be done online very easily. Search 'Court Service for helpful guidance.
If you intend to take court action you can submit a request for vehicle registered keeper details and the DVLA (or whatever the agency is called now) will provide this. The Data Protection Act ( well its latest iteration) permits disclosure for the purpose of court action (which is how the various private car parking firms get people's address).

So write to DVLA with your plan to take action under small claims procedure, get the keeper's home address, write with accompanying quote for remedial work and see what happens?

Good luck!
@T6Harvard I know you have not been on here all that long but it is a bit against forum-etiquette to write concise, fact filled, useful posts, especially so early on in your aviation career.

:thumright: :thumleft:
Charles Hunt, JodelDavo, AlanC and 9 others liked this