Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Flying_john wrote:I failed to to connect !

You may have thought they would have done a Zoom recording so that others could review what was said at a later date.

That’s exactly what was said would be done. As Cub has said above, it will be posted on the EU Exit micro site.
Flying_john wrote:Aha - whoops missed that revelation, but also wonder if they touched on the status of EASA Permit Aircraft , not flying into EU, but their airworthiness status and responsibilities.

If I can interpret my rapidly scrawled notes correctly, they will reman valid in the UK with no need to change the physical piece of paper or other aspects until there is some other change requiring it, such as change of owner etc.
G-BLEW, Pete L, Dodo liked this
Flying_john wrote:Aha - whoops missed that revelation, but also wonder if they touched on the status of EASA Permit Aircraft , not flying into EU, but their airworthiness status and responsibilities.

Yes, they'll maintain all airworthiness/operational requirements/limitations but will become CAA permits instead.

Ian
Pete L, Dave W, Dodo liked this
I think there was a grid chart shown very early in the presentation which implied that for aircraft holding EASA CofA/restricted CofA/EASA Permit to fly there was effectively no change. Regards
Dodo liked this
Best bit for me was something that doesn't actually alter my situation personally, but is very much for the good of many grass roots pilots, not to mention standard rental organisations needing more income, a real prospect of a Jan 1st onwards exemption-like bit of 2ndary legislation to enable Nppl-ssea and UK PPL(a) pilots flying what are currently called easa aircraft, something I have been lobbying the DfT for via my MP for months.
Now I do realise that in GA, the more effort put in to arrange something for one particular date, (as Luc and Edith often found out), the more the likelihood of gales and or torrential rain, so I suspect I have an accurate forecast now for New Year's Day.
So, assuming that goes through, now we need to look at a sensible and encouraging step-through route for nppl-m to ppl(a) and a cloud rating for SEP to get the training schools longer queues at the time they need them.
Cub, B1engineer, JAFO and 1 others liked this
Stephen Slater wrote:There is a slight technicality in that some of the letters of agreement are currently worded “aircraft of the EC and Switzerland”, and we need of course to get “and the UK” added to the documents. This is in hand with the CAA/EC team as we speak.

France would be a good place to start. It is not a LOA, but a government decree.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/ ... 0036437808

... et immatriculés dans un Etat partie à l'accord sur l'Espace économique européen ou en Suisse sont autorisés à survoler temporairement le territoire français sans accord préalable ...
Google Translate (@patowalker, you could do this):

...and registered in a State party to the agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland are authorized to temporarily fly over French territory without prior agreement ...
Irv Lee wrote:Best bit for me was something that doesn't actually alter my situation personally, but is very much for the good of many grass roots pilots, not to mention standard rental organisations needing more income, a real prospect of a Jan 1st onwards exemption-like bit of 2ndary legislation to enable Nppl-ssea and UK PPL(a) pilots flying what are currently called easa aircraft...

Absolutely agree, Irv but it wasn't entirely clear to me if that would be allowed with a PMD.
Dodo wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:
Yes, they'll maintain all airworthiness/operational requirements/limitations but will become CAA permits instead.

Ian

Does that meant CAA permits overseen and administered by the LAA or something more complicated/expensive than that ?
Dodo (Permit Bolkow operator)

I got the impression that they would be administered by the CAA, but who knows…

Ian
Dodo liked this
G-BLEW wrote:@Irv Lee Is the cloud rating you want different from an IMC rating?

Ian

Yes, very much so, I took the trouble to send a suggested syllabus to Easa years ago. (Guess what they said... you would probably be wrong in what they said, but any assumption that the end result would be NO would be correct, the weasel way they stamped on it is quite amazing!).
I suggested something like the handling skills of the imc course and position fixing/tracking, but no instrument approaches, combined with the proven ability to follow vectors whilst climbing and descending in imc (which need not have to be ATC provided but could be instructor/examiner simulated).
I see this as a skill and safety net step between VFR and the Imc rating. It would provide extra skills to the private pilot who really wants to only be a bacon sandwich vfr pilot but also wants extra survival skills should they be needed due to sudden unforecast conditions either above or below cloud on their intended VFR bimble from say Welshpool to Compton Abbas.
A pilot could nowadays be above sct cloud and be VFR, if that closes, what are they supposed to do? Or if surprised by a unforecast weather requiring cloud climb rather than precautionary landing (say over water) as best safety option, then do it. Once above cloud either self steering to a place of safe cloud break or ATC vectors to same after declaring emergency.
There is an official cloud rating for motor gliders and gliders on a ppl(s) for deliberate planned passage through cloud to vfr above and below. Goose/gander, why not for Sep?
I think grass roots pilots who never want to go near ifr, or controlled airspace or instrument approaches would see this as an attractive skill enhancement course, very affordable, only really requiring the usual 6 pack and a radio for most of the course, possible more for a lesson or two for bit of radio nav tune up. Ground work could enhance their knowledge of Met etc.
Some would be happy with a cloud rating, skills enhanced, presumably some would enjoy it enough to then step up to IMCR the next year. I saw it as part of skill development/risk management and providing an ambition for some hobby pilots to do something different one season rather than fade into boredom and drop out. Meanwhile, it would much needed NEW money into the training clubs.
Last edited by Irv Lee on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
terryws, Antair liked this