Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Pete L wrote:.., it's a common thing in government engagement exercises where they carefully seed the people they want in the room -...

far from only in 'government' (in its many manifestations) :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:So what was said? Is there a synopsis?

It was being recorded so no doubt it will be shared for viewing by all shortly.

I have to say I didn't like some of the things I heard but the CAA were clear and succinct in all of their answers and on the very few occasions they couldn't answer they undertook to take the question away and answer it on the Brexit micro-site.

I might not be impressed with us leaving but I was impressed at the handling of this session by some caring people.
My take..
No change for full fat GA which will be called Part 21 and the LAA stuff non Part21.Lots of questions about permit flying into Europe which of course has always been sub ICAO but they don,t like that answer so keep asking! Engineering no change really just the heading on the paperwork.I picked up that we will accept imported EASA aircraft as before but Europe are going to play hard ball and demand export Cof As for exported aircraft from UK.
Also that reforms are possible now the U.K. can plot it’s own course so get our representatives to let the CAA know what we want.Overall positive I thought and of course means AOPA and LAA will be able to negotiate directly rather than through a European organisation answerable in reality to no one. Regards Stampe
The CAA response on Permit aircraft flying into Europe, was somewhat confusing.

In fact, and this has subsequently been endorsed by CAA, there will be no change to existing arrangements.

Permit aircraft permissions are generally governed by ECAC letters of agreement, which are independent of EASA and are signed by the individual heads of the national aviation authorities involved. These enable LAA Permit aircraft, older historic types and amateur-built aircraft, overflight and access to the signatory countries.

There is a slight technicality in that some of the letters of agreement are currently worded “aircraft of the EC and Switzerland”, and we need of course to get “and the UK” added to the documents. This is in hand with the CAA/EC team as we speak.

Further information can be found in the LAA Technical Leaflet TL 2.08, which can be found at http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/TechnicalLeaflets/Operating%20An%20Aircraft/TL%202.08%20Travelling%20abroad%20in%20a%20Permit%20Aircraft.pdf

This is an older document (2016), which we’re updating, but this will have to wait until the Brexit/EASA dust has settled.

Hope this answer the question a bit more positively!
Last edited by Stephen Slater on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave W, G-BLEW liked this