Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Sir Stephen Hillier is to deliver the RAeS Brabazon Named Lecture this month and we can watch on their webinar.
https://www.aerosociety.com/events-calendar/raes-webinar-brabazon-named-lecture-2020/
RAeS Webinar: Brabazon Named Lecture 2020
19 November 2020
17.00 to 18.00, virtual
Lecture

The Civil Aviation Authority – What Next?

This year's Brabazon Named Lecture will be presented by Sir Stephen Hillier GCB CBE DFC, Chair, Civil Aviation Authority.

The impact of Covid on civil aerospace is self-evidently profound. And there are many other pressing challenges besides: from withdrawal from EASA to environmentally sustainable aviation; from new technologies, space and innovation, to rising consumer expectations; from changing demands for airspace use, to supporting and enabling the wider aerospace enterprise. Sir Stephen Hillier will speak about the perspectives he has gained in his first 100 days as Chair of the Civil Aviation Authority, and the challenges, roles and priorities he sees ahead for the CAA.

All RAeS Named Lectures are free to attend for both members and non-members. To register your place on this webinar please click 'Book Now' below.

About the Brabazon Named Lecture

The Brabazon Named Lecture is held in honour of Lord Brabazon of Tara. Born in London on 8 February 1884, J.T.C. Moore-Brabazon became one of British aviation's true pioneers and, in his political career played an important role in the planning of civil aviation for the years following WW2.

What should I ask him for the Q&A session?
And having listened to his lecture - not deeply enthused. I really expected more from a man of his credibility. It was mostly corporate blandspeak, with few insights.

A few notes about the safety concerns about post-Covid industry recovery, which is fair enough.

Lots and lots and lots of repetition of the word "consumer".

Little mention of aircraft manufacturing. A passing mention that recreational flying must have at least a little bit of airspace left.

Some discussion about the "considerable work" done towards the various outcomes involved in EU exit, but just an assurance that he's hired all the right people. Seemed to be clear that we are absolutely leaving EASA.

"The CAA does not support any sector, it would be wrong if we did" !

Perhaps unsurprising, but disappointing.

G
Stampe, johnm, scd975 liked this
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mr Shapps apparently thought he was a strong candidate for the job so I listened hopefully.Unfortunately lots of the usual corporate speak and glowing references to the outstanding organisation and its staff.He is clearly not aware of its past failures in virtually every area of its responsibilities .Perhaps a clue as to to lacklustre nature of his address was an early tribute to the strong leadership of his predecessor...I do not think so.I’m guessing the infestation of military failures in the GA department will be feeling more secure in their comfortable positions this evening.
Not what aviation in the the UK needed to hear and be inspired by.
I think we got what we expected rather than hoped. The problem is that the CAA are on the very tight leash of the DfT and 99% of the DfT (apart from the boss) don't know their aileron from their elevator. Everything is so politicised at the moment and the Gov seem quite happy to throw regulators under the bus (you only have to look at what they did to Ofqual) as they grapple their way out of the mahoosive big black whole that is a non deal Brexit despite having claimed to have an "oven ready deal". The CAA get my back up, there is A LOT to improve but the government are creating a horrendous climate for all at the moment and I suspect there is a serious amount of pussy footing around and covering backsides in the CAA and other regulators at the moment. The sum total is that aviation is very much playing second fiddle and we deserve more. Hey ho, rant over.