Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Shoestring Flyer
ls8pilot wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:I think it would be good to know and I think it would be a reasonable request to be told by the CAA exactly what type of EC these BVLOS UAV's are equipped with and have on board and are emitting at the time that a Notam is issued or a UAV Danger area is established?
Do they have ADSB on board?..Or Flarm?..Or Fanet?
Or maybe they don't have any EC on board being emitted at all?

The Bristow document covers this:-
They go on to say that their drone is equipped as follows :

[i]24.5 Electronic conspicuity is provided by a dedicated transponder module consisting of a Mode S transponder and optional ADS-B transponder. ]

I would expect the CAA to go down the ADSB route (unlike in some parts of Germany/France where Flarm is used)

Yes ok, that is Bristow saying that this particular Drone may 'optionally' have ADSB but that is not the same as the Notam/DA pertaining saying that it 'does'have ADSB which was my point. I think it is important and only right that we know exactly what is fitted at the time of use of the UAV.

Additionally as you rightly say Flarm is the predominate piece of EC equipment both for Gliders, Drones and GA generally in Europe which needs to be strongly taken into account with regular European traveller Brits when choosing their aircraft EC equipment!
By GAFlyer4Fun
ls8pilot wrote:...
As I understand it there is already the right software and hardware to allow a drone to automatically avoid an EC equipped aircraft ?

The technology for a drone to not to collide with anything was demonstrated years ago.
The demonstration I remember was human deliberately trying to touch a drone that was designed to avoid contact. The human did not have ADSB so why should an aircraft to deconflict with a drone? A nice to have rather than essential otherwise how would drones avoid flying into birds that are not squawking the correct protocol?
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So if it's outputting it's position via ADS-B, and I have ADS-B recieving ability, then I should be able to make my way though the TDA talking to noone in perfect safety.

Problem is, I wouldn't want to spend a year with my licence suspended to go to court to prove it.
By xtophe
riverrock wrote:So if it's outputting it's position via ADS-B, and I have ADS-B recieving ability, then I should be able to make my way though the TDA talking to noone in perfect safety.

Problem is, I wouldn't want to spend a year with my licence suspended to go to court to prove it.

From viewtopic.php?p=1808465#p1808465 , it seems they are operating it as a TDS and not a RA(T)
By kanga
Snowdonia, operators of Llanbedr, may force closure of a campsite because "they may not have anyone available to open a gate for emergency vehicles"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nor ... s-39594856

Hmm.. I thought one of the arguments for supporting civil operations at Llanbedr was boost for local tourism industry :roll:
By Cub
kanga wrote:Snowdonia, operators of Llanbedr, may force closure of a campsite because "they may not have anyone available to open a gate for emergency vehicles"

Hmm.. I thought one of the arguments for supporting civil operations at Llanbedr was boost for local tourism industry :roll:

Maybe that was not their in tent :lol:

(I'll get my coat)
Paul_Sengupta, kanga liked this
By townleyc
kanga wrote:Snowdonia, operators of Llanbedr, may force closure of a campsite because "they may not have anyone available to open a gate for emergency vehicles"

That link is from 2017 - hardly current!

KE