Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Formal notice has been given by SASO No.22 Group that Linton effectively closes on 18 Dec 20, though official disestablishment of the airfield, ATZ, MATZ and LARS will occur on 31st Dec with removal from MAIP etc.

The ACP covering this is here -https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/PublicProposalArea?pID=275

The letter I've received contains military telephone numbers and email addresses so I don't propose publishing it here.

Sad day for Yorkshire :(
I only remember going there once but after 83 years of service it's sad to see it go.

I'm clearly older than @rikur_ as I was thinking of JPs. :|

So many of the old bases that I knew, even if only by name, have disappeared. As someone who served predominantly at Swinderby, Finningley, St Mawgan and Kinloss I have obviously become something of a dinosaur.
rikur_ liked this
JAFO wrote:So many of the old bases that I knew, even if only by name, have disappeared. As someone who served predominantly at Swinderby, Finningley, St Mawgan and Kinloss I have obviously become something of a dinosaur.

Me too. I served a bit more widely than that (up and down the A1, plus St Mawgan) and all the bases I posted to have closed/gone civvy or are about to, apart from Cranwell (which one day will be the last bastion of the RAF) and Wittering. Even the building in London I worked at with MOD(PE) was knocked down in favour of apartments built on site

Moreover, every single service aircraft I had any technical involvement with has now gone (Tucano was the last) apart from the 2 Chipmunks with BBMF.
JAFO liked this
My first real airfield for in the early ‘50s I used to cycle out there from my home in York and stand at the end of the runway watching, I think Meteors, Vampires, Canadian Sabres and Neptunes and all sorts of aircraft departing. I wasn’t a spotter recording serial numbers. I subscribed to Flying Review which was always a great read.
My last 'real' unit..... :( . That, and its 3 RLGs (CF, DH, TP).

Probably the newest control tower in the Service, new Airmens' quarters (sorry, Family Accommodation!) built, runways only relatively recently re-surfaced (yes, THAT old chestnut.....) - it was a racing certainty to be closed. Nice to see one's tax-pounds being so well spent!

Every one of 10 RAF flying stations I served on, bar 2, have closed; and 1 of those 2 is barely worth calling a flying unit given the number of movements generated there.

(The country lanes serving the unit are in a dreadful condition; bet they're all repaired and resurfaced once the place closes!)
Ophelia Gently wrote:My last 'real' unit..... :( . That, and its 3 RLGs (CF, DH, TP).

Probably the newest control tower in the Service, new Airmens' quarters (sorry, Family Accommodation!) built, runways only relatively recently re-surfaced (yes, THAT old chestnut.....) - it was a racing certainty to be closed. Nice to see one's tax-pounds being so well spent!

Every one of 10 RAF flying stations I served on, bar 2, have closed; and 1 of those 2 is barely worth calling a flying unit given the number of movements generated there.

(The country lanes serving the unit are in a dreadful condition; bet they're all repaired and resurfaced once the place closes!)

They’ll be widened and resurfaced as part of the planning permission for the York suburb being built on it.
By Plan_B
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:
Ophelia Gently wrote:(The country lanes serving the unit are in a dreadful condition; bet they're all repaired and resurfaced once the place closes!)

They’ll be widened and resurfaced as part of the planning permission for the York suburb being built on it.

No, they’ll have cycle lanes painted on them as that means there will be no extra traffic, apparently :roll:
T6Harvard liked this