Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By Genghis the Engineer
#1809621
Just bringing this back up to the top of the page with a further thought for anybody from CAA if they're reading (I'm very happy with my responses still, thankfully, apart from a few trivial typos).

It would be very very useful with a lengthy and somewhat detailed survey like this to also provide a downloadable PDF with all of the questions and guidance on the reasons for some of them.

I regularly fill out surveys and grant applications for another UK government body, UKRI, and this is incredibly useful as I can download the PDF, think it through, probably construct and check my answers in a word processor, then upload them once I'm fully happy. It is a lot more robust than something that basically is constructed as a customer satisfaction survey, where you never know what the next question is, or how far you have to go.

G
User avatar
By Genghis the Engineer
#1809664
Charles Hunt wrote:Don't give away airspace to commercial operators serving the obscenely wealthy only.


Problem is, they do create a lot of income. But yes, they can also afford to be constrained into relatively narrow corridors, without causing real problems to many, if any.

G
User avatar
By kanga
#1809842
CloudHound wrote:Biggin Hill handles the well heeled with little or no airspace :thumright:


So does Staverton. ISTR MP3 saying (possibly on a Forum posting, even) that 30% of the revenue came from 3% of the movements; but he ensured that the other 97% was welcome, and welcomed :thumright:
By johnm
#1809850
The fundamental issue is rightly highlighted as discrimination. controlled airspace is primarily there to protect CAT which serves Jo Public who is entitled to expect that his safety is managed effectively, it generally is.

However where airports handle GA only, whatever GA that is, there is no justification for controlled airspace by definition. If I can find my self dumped at Detling and working my way home to the instrument approach on a traffic service then so can the biz jet.
flybymike liked this
User avatar
By skydriller
#1809862
johnm wrote: If I can find my self dumped at Detling and working my way home to the instrument approach on a traffic service then so can the biz jet.


And quite frankly that goes for any aircraft, IFR or VFR - pretty much all ATC services in the UK stop the second you leave controlled airspace. The system is set up that way and it has knock-on effects to many other controversial issues.
johnm liked this