Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MikeW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unfortunately the Halo website says (on the support page)

INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS: PLEASE NOTE--- We were forced to adopt a STRICT USA SALES ONLY POLICY. We DO NOT ship to addresses outside the USA. WE DO NOT ALLOW SHIPMENTS TO US-BASED Freight forwarding or 3rd party Postal Lock boxes. If you order a headset in violation of our policies and need service in the USA, you will be resposible for ALL POSTAGE TO AND FROM OUR FACTORY REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS IN OR OUT OF WARRANTY.
Another happy QT Halo user here, this time in a draughty microlight cockpit.

Love mine as I can't stand sweaty ears and the headclamp pressure if DC's and the like.

You forget they're in after a while and the sound quality is really excellent.

Only downside is they are a bit of a faff to put on compared to regular headsets, but worth it in my opinion.

As others have said, if you're not able to tolerate things in ear, then they won't be for you, but otherwise they're excellent.

Andy
By rohmer - Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:55 am

An alternative is Nanocomm 2GA http://nanocommga.com/index.htm
No personal experience but there's a review on YouTube

That's me!

Still only had limited use of them as yet due Covid, but been happy with the sound quality and noise reduction offered.
I've had varying results with the fit though and haven't been able to pinpoint what is going off yet (need time as a Passenger to play around with them).
I've had 2 flights out of ~10 where the earpiece kept popping out - not enough to fall out, but enough to break the seal and let all the noise in - all other flights they have remained solidly inserted. I suspect it is just down to how I inserted them initially - obviously once airborne, all I did was keep shoving them back in.

One other niggle is that the input jack has no priority switching between input and radio traffic like you get with bluetooth adaptors so I've had to set the iPad volume lower so that it doesn't drown out the radio should the two happen simultaneously. Because of this, I've reverted to the bings, bongs, dings and dongs from skydemon rather than the verbal alerts.

Overall I'm happy enough to get some custom molds done once it is possible to do so again.
rohmer liked this
By riverrock
I know one person with Clarity Alofs who likes them but is on his third set after sitting on one set (can't remember what happened to the second).
On the Halos their lack of international support would worry me. I wonder what forced their domestic only policy.
Another happy Halo user here, along with my wife. But - and its a big BUT - the guy who runs the company (Phil) is a real pain to deal with. I would not buy another Halo as he is so difficult.

I would certainly get a CQ headset from Card Machine Works. Scott & Tanya are regular pilots and a joy to deal with. They answer emails promptly and are happy to ship outside of the US. I now buy replacement ear tips from them.

I shorten the tubes on the earplugs to the minimum so the headset will fit under a helmet.
By Lefty
I’ve got a CA in ear headset that is only very rarely used. The issue for me is that I find it very difficult to get the buds into my ears. I spend ages pulling my ears in different directions trying to get the bud to go in and stay in.

They ar3 effective, but when you are flying several flights per day, it is just too much of a faff trying to get them into my ears.
@Lefty apologies in advance if you're already aware of this, but the clarity aloft headsets use comply foam tips, and for these, you need to roll the tip in your fingers to squish it down into a narrow tube. You should be able to squeeze it enough so that it just slips into your ear. You then need to hold it in place for 30+ seconds until the foam has started to expand again, which should then create a good seal and hold. Using this technique, they go in easily without any fuss. If this doesn't work for you, it's possible that you're using the wrong size tips for your ears. Try dropping down a size.
T67M liked this