Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Miscellaneous wrote:
Rob L wrote:That dock looks almost purpose-built (apart from the lack of a ramp :lol: )

Quite a story to tell. There we were living the dream of a quiet life on the banks of Loch Ness, enjoying the peace and tranquility. Pottering in the workshop by day, sitting contemplating our fortune by evening and before we knew it we had a 150 tonne crane parked on our land lifting an aerolpane out the loch and depsoiting on our property. Our workshop taken over by a team of engineers and media and sightseeers galore by road, water and air. :lol:

We feel your pain. :D
Sorry, been neglecting this thread but if you want to keep up to date with the progress, I post on the GoFundMe page regularly:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/misspickup

At the moment, the replacement engine is almost ready to be craned into position (booked for tomorrow) using a much smaller crane than the one used to lift the aircraft out of the water. Blister repairs are on going and a temporary fix should be completed by next week along with engine tests. All being well we're hoping to have her back on the water at the end of next week.
vintage ATCO, Iceman, mick w and 7 others liked this
Should have gone to Specsavers ... me that is. :oops:
I was surprised when Matt wrote that the replacement engine was almost ready to go on. I thought it already was but looking at it again clearly I misinterpreted my shaky photo of a few days ago.
Maybe helps demonstrate I wasn't hooning past at an illegally low height. :wink:
T6Harvard, Hooligan liked this
Hooligan wrote:
rf3flyer wrote:Maybe helps demonstrate I wasn't hooning past at an illegally low height. :wink:

If you were flying the RF-3, you could always claim to have been trying to restart the engine!

Taking photographs while trying to air start the engine? .... Hmmm, don't think so. :)
rf3flyer wrote:
Hooligan wrote:..

If you were flying the RF-3, you could always claim to have been trying to restart the engine!

Taking photographs while trying to air start the engine? .... Hmmm, don't think so. :)

ISTR from the era when Israel occupied Egyptian Sinai there being rows in the US Congress after a report in (I think) Air et Cosmos, reproduced in Aviation Week. The report showed aerial photographs of Israeli military positions taken 'from an Egyptian RF4'. Supporters of Israel on Capitol Hill asked the DoD how the Egyptians had got hold of a Phantom. It had to be explained to them that this was a Fournier aircraft not a McDonnell Douglas one :) I'm guessing it was both quiet and with a low radar signature, so very suitable for the job :thumright:
Pete L, Hooligan liked this
@kanga[/usermention] et al. Apologies for the continuing thread drift into Fourniers.
Sportavia who built the RF4D and RF5 also developed the latter into the Sportavia S5 which had a heavily muffled Lycoming and was very quiet. A poor man's U2, but I don't know if it ever flew in the Middle East.
A couple of pics here: http://sbeaver.com/cgi-bin/fournier/cutecast.pl?session=BZgFRZpTRtTl0oAC5pvkmqsLxA&forum=24&thread=829
Hooligan, terryws, nallen liked this