Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
What’s the story with the broken observation bubble - did the RIB actually collide with it, or did its crew come alongside, and thinking it was a door, hack at it with an axe ?
The RIB that originally came to help unfortunately collided with the blister, shattering it.

Temple Pier is indeed private and the owner has been very supportive of our efforts. We are also renting some workshop space onsite from him to do the engine change.
T6Harvard, Hooligan, Iceman and 4 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:I see they have hit target on gofundme.
Eoghan has made a donation too, and his amazing photo is now the pic on the fundraising page.

Just to clarify : all those purchasing prints (including me), from Eoghan are charged for making a donation to go fund me as well as the cost of the print, handling and postage so it’s not necessarily solely Eoghan but his customers who are donating.

I am not quibbling about this it’s a good cause but I had already made a donation to go fund me long before Eoghans prints surfaced on the market so a little clarity would not go amiss.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Yes, you are quite right, of course! I had forgotten Eoghan said he'd sort that out as a fund raiser.
Thanks @PeteSpencer . A win, win situation.

Just seen Matt's update on the gofundme page as well. Worth a look at the vid of them craning the engine off :thumleft:
Did the crane stay “on station” while preparations were made to remove the engine ? That is one big crane to lift out such a “light” engine. Lifetime friendships made with the local inhabitants perhaps.
There is something so right in the Catalina design - an all time favourite since I saw them in Chaguaramas Trinidad, taking off in 2s in the bay in ‘62.
Where is the nearest one to me (not counting the Loch Ness casualty) ?
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _Catalinas

Bill, see the above.

There is also an interesting article about the Dutch one here

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/w ... alina.html

I worked for a lovely lady whose late husband was ground crew on them in Singapore, IIRC. She went into a nursing home a couple of years ago and on one visit I took her some photos I'd taken of Miss Pick Up flying at Duxford. She had us both in tears.
Charles Hunt liked this