Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
riverrock wrote:The story is being shown on BBC ALBA tonight, 9pm:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rrbp
The voiceover is in Gaelic with English subtitles but I'm sure that wont worry people. Link above should allow people to watch via iPlayer after broadcast if you can't find BBC ALBA.

Promo Clip: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p094jjry

That was an excellent bit of programming. None of the false drama nonsense interjected info a lot of reality TV and really well shot under what would have been difficult circumstances.

Andy
My Thanks too, for flagging up this obscure BBC channel.
Luckily found it and a it was very professional record considering the engine troubles and thereafter weren't planned.
But what did go wrong with the engine, no-one said, yet I'm sure the owners weren't too daft as to know ?
Last edited by mikehallam on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
kanga wrote:The accents in English of those for whom Gaelic is their first language, mostly now islanders, are often very different from that of native anglophone Scots, mostly mainlanders.

I thought it sounded a bit Scandi…

Ian
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Duo802 wrote:As a native Invernessian, I'd agree with that. Worth mentioning also that only about 1% of Scotland's population can speak Gaelic, and most of these are confined to the Western Isles.

There must be a valid evolutionary reason that these rarified languages either morph into something entirely different or die out completely .

So I don’t understand the battle to bring these failing languages back ( Welsh , Irish Gaelic etc) when they only impact a tiny and shrinking number of people.

Latin, for example , has served its purpose in a big and special way, but there’s no campaign to bring it back into widespread use. :wink:
Iceman liked this
Quite so. The Scottish Government is spending millions on trying to preserve the language. This includes, among many other things, establishing and maintaining a Gaelic school in Inverness ( an area where Gaelic is not generally spoken), dual language road signage and even the markings on police vehicles and ambulances - all to pander to a tiny minority of Scots.
rf3flyer liked this