Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
Dave Calderwood has put the following on the Flyer News page, after the story's reveal from Bossman during last night's online banterfest.

I thought it also deserves its own thread here:

Small airfields will need Border Force agreement

Flying from small aerodromes and air strips to Europe after the UK’s transition period with the European Union ends on 31 December 2020 will continue to be possible so long as the airfield operator has a Certificate of Agreement from Border Force.
“From 1 January 2021 until 30 June 2022 your aerodrome will be covered by a ‘blanket’ interim CoA which will allow you to continue operating permitted flights to and from EU countries until you obtain an individual CoA,” says the letter. “You do not need to take any action to receive this interim CoA as it will be done automatically.”

There are some (not onerous, in fact probably transparent, for the majority of us) limitations to be considered, which are described in the news article.

The article also explains what will happen after June 2022: In short, the airfield/strip will need to have applied for a specific Certificate of Agreement rather than the blanket temporary one.

Other than that, requirements for GARs, notification times etc. don't seem set to change.

I'm filing this under "good news".
I assume, though, that the previous ability to fly from the EU and land anywhere one wishes (e.g I used to often fly direct Rotterdam to Laddingford) will be gone? Another great "benefit" of Brexit...
Katamarino wrote:I assume, though, that the previous ability to fly from the EU and land anywhere one wishes (e.g I used to often fly direct Rotterdam to Laddingford) will be gone? Another great "benefit" of Brexit...

No, I think that will still be in place.

Ian
Flying_john, Katamarino liked this
By Dave W
xtophe wrote:While the Border Force appears to handle things in a suitable way, I don't think more redtape and good news should be in the same sentence.

This is the point, I think. For the GA pilot it looks like there will be no more red tape. It seems it will appear just as before.
I assume, though, that the previous ability to fly from the EU and land anywhere one wishes (e.g I used to often fly direct Rotterdam to Laddingford) will be gone? Another great "benefit" of Brexit...

No, that is the wrong assumption.

It wont be gone it will be covered by the blanket agreement until June 2022 and after that if you wish to continue just get the airfield owner or club committee or whoever looks after your interests at Deanland to make the simple application, same for us at EGMF.
By DavidC
Good news indeed. Seems quite a helpful, positive and proportionate approach.

Current BF regulations require 24 hours notice to/from non-EU countries rather than 4 from EU countries.

How much notice will be required to/from EU countries from January?
By johnm
As nothing else has been said I would assume the notice periods for arrival into and departure from the UK would stand as before.

Heading into Europe we would now require BOTH customs and immigration on arrival and that will need a little investigation. Up to now we've used the term "customs airfield" for arrival and departure in EU countries, but we really meant " immigration" and that was needed because the UK wasn't in Schengen. Now we will need both and that might need a bit of checking on clarity of procedures.
In possibly related news, there is (according to FT front page story) to be an extra VAT grace period for importing yachts from the Med, which may please some Forumites. Good to know that Treasury Ministers know what's important :roll:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/800/cpspr ... end-nc.png
johnm liked this
kanga wrote:In possibly related news, there is (according to FT front page story) to be an extra VAT grace period for importing yachts from the Med, which may please some Forumites. Good to know that Treasury Ministers know what's important :roll:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/800/cpspr ... end-nc.png

Quite a debate on VAT on gliderpilot.net forum, if you have it, it might be worth taking the original VAT receipt for your aircraft when you fly to Europe in the New Year!
ls8pilot wrote:Quite a debate on VAT on gliderpilot.net forum, if you have it, it might be worth taking the original VAT receipt for your aircraft when you fly to Europe in the New Year!

It has always been a good idea to have a VAT paid certificate on board when going foreign to avoid any "awkwardness" about that in a ramp check.
Have copies of the certificate as I have read over the years that getting a replacement is impossible.
Quite a debate on VAT on gliderpilot.net forum, if you have it, it might be worth taking the original VAT receipt for your aircraft when you fly to Europe in the New Year!

Surely if we've left the EU, the VAT status of a UK based aircraft is nothing to do with other EU members - the only people that will need to be convinced are the UK authorities.
It has always been a good idea to have a VAT paid certificate

After January a Free-circulation certificate is worthless outside of the UK, unless there is some sort of trade deal to recognise pre-exit VAT paid status.

Post January going abroad you will just be another 3rd country visitor.
Smaragd liked this
Anyone else had a letter from BorderForce? We got one at our strip yesterday.

Nothing sinister, just a note to say they know we are here, have had inbounds in the past and advising us of the six month blanket extension. They will send us details of how to apply to become approved in due course...