Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ls8pilot
Having only flown solo up till now I had my first experience of trying to fly with a face mask for an annual check yesterday. It was a cool, but sunny(ish) autumn day and all of the masks I tried (even those with wire nose pieces) resulted in my (prescription) glasses misting up to an unacceptable extent. Luckily it was only a winch-failure check, so total canopy closed time < 5 mins (not much exposure there!)

Anyone found a solution to this in an un-heated cockpit ?
By PeteSpencer
I've only flown with someone else once since covid and it was for an IR Reval.

The examiner is an (active) airline pilot who is tested every week and has stayed negative.

So we dispensed with masks.

My correction is so slight that I take my glasses off in Tesco....................
By riverrock
I thought it was only passengers who needed to wear masks?

Outside of a cockpit, its all in the nose piece for me. If its properly snug, no air should go up towards my glasses. the bottom of the mask needs to be suitably loose to let air out.
Rob L liked this
By johnm
Our home made masks have a length of garden wire in the top seam which allows it to be moulded to cheek and nose, that together with wearing my specs a fraction further down my nose does the trick in pretty much all conditions.
QSD liked this
By allout
After suffering the same way, I've just tried micropore taping the top of the mask - so far it has worked a treat.
No need to hermetically seal it, just enough tape to hold it on.
By Rob L
riverrock wrote:I thought it was only passengers who needed to wear masks?

Outside of a cockpit, its all in the nose piece for me. If its properly snug, no air should go up towards my glasses. the bottom of the mask needs to be suitably loose to let air out.

It is (I understand). As an occasional A/G operator, I can always tell when the person transmitting from an aircraft is wearing a mask, and it has a safety issue in terms of understanding transmissions from some, especially the "home-made" face coverings (yes, my polite enquiries on the ground have ascertained that).
Miscellaneous liked this
By Boxkite

I thought it was only passengers that were paying to be there, eg, trial lessons, leisure flights, etc.
By T6Harvard
Ah, yes. Had this problem last week. Fix is to wear a double-layered mask with a, well, gusset. Insert strip of paper towel into gusset of mask and no more fogging. Also tried anti-fog spray from snorkeling , worked for a short time.
ls8pilot liked this
By Red

That sort of makes it pointless, you might as well wear a mask with an outlet valve
By riverrock
That's all face coverings (as opposed to masks) are. They redirect air / droplets down, not at other people.
If you want a mask, you need a water resistant one which needs changed at least every 4 hours. Those still redirect air down - they don't have outgoing filters. For inbound filters you need an FFP3 mask, but these also don't have outgoing filters- that still redirect air down.
ls8pilot liked this