Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Kittyhawk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have recently started my 4th logbook and up to now have used the Pooleys PPL ones. The latest one has really small columns compared to the previous ones, long airfield names hardly fit and all the time columns seem really cramped. I have no experience of other suppliers, but does anyone make a log book with more room?
By Genghis the Engineer
Any of the commercial logbooks

The leather logbook company.

I used the Pooleys commercial logbook for years, then when I filled that up designed my own own with the same footprint.

G
By allout
Microsoft Excel.
Used nothing else ever since my paper log books were stolen from my car 22 years ago.
By matthew_w100
allout wrote:Microsoft Excel.
Used nothing else ever since my paper log books were stolen from my car 22 years ago.

Is this acceptable when the occasional glance by an instructor is required? I have about 100 flights to transfer from Excel to my paper log book, and I'd really rather not if it's not necessary!
By allout
matthew_w100 wrote:

Is this acceptable when the occasional glance by an instructor is required? I have about 100 flights to transfer from Excel to my paper log book, and I'd really rather not if it's not necessary!

Yes.
Plenty of devices around these days for viewing spreadsheets.
The LX9070 on my panel can display it.
I can e-mail it to the instructor/ CFI/ anyone, anytime on request.
In fact, matthew_w100, you are most welcome to see it yourself.

Not as tactile as dead trees, no doubt, but I have been scarred by that theft.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
allout wrote:...but I have been scarred by that theft.

I sympathise to the deepest possible degree.

I lost my logbook with ab initio training and early experience records from a car boot theft, along with many other work and personal items.

Even at the time, I could not care less about the other stuff. The feeling has been further established over the following years.

"Scarred" is exactly the word; it sounds overblown, but it really isn't. :(
By Genghis the Engineer
matthew_w100 wrote:

I have an Excel logbook, in addition to my paper logbook.

Easily accessible for schools to check, CAA have had printouts from it many times signed by me as "I certify that this is a true copy", they've never had a problem with it. It certainly does the adding up and determination of important numbers much more accurately and quickly than I can do.

Printed onto A3 in landscape format, it works out about a page per 100hrs.

There are various templates easily found if you ask around, but I found it really satisfying to write my own. And of course it's easy to backup, have accessible via a USB drive or web server for anybody who needs to check it.

But I'm not giving up my paper logbook, with signatures, notes and crossings-out. I am sticking with both.

Incidentally when I did my CPL/IR in FAAland a couple of years ago, the people there really weren't happy about the use of an electronic logbook. The Americans like paper !

G
By matthew_w100
allout wrote:Yes.

Yes, but how do you accommodate the odd P1/S and PU/T counter-signature? Or am I being too old-fashioned? Those probably aren't needed any more, given the ratings/renewals sheet with the licence. But they might be for differences training, perhaps?
By Genghis the Engineer
matthew_w100 wrote:

Yes, but how do you accommodate the odd P1/S and PU/T counter-signature? Or am I being too old-fashioned? Those probably aren't needed any more, given the ratings/renewals sheet with the licence. But they might be for differences training, perhaps?

That for me is one of the several reasons I *also* retain a paper logbook, but in EASAland, nobody official seems to have felt any need to see these things in the 8ish years since I created the Excel logbook.

In FAAland on the other hand, as I said earlier, they absolutely wanted to see my paper logbook.

G
By allout
matthew_w100 wrote:

Fair points matthew_w100.

I have a system, albeit clunky:
Print out that page, get it signed, scan and insert into the spreadsheet as a picture.
A faf for sure, but only about once a year.
matthew_w100 liked this
By JAFO
That's an interesting cover design. Where did you have to go to find that? 1973?
By kanga
For comparisons (cover dimensions, pages very slightly smaller):

First logbook, '60s, RCFCA: 18x12cm
Second, '00s, Transair: 21.5x14.5cm - definitely bigger
(and bigger than Pooleys one illustrated, I think)

[edited ! :oops: ]
Last edited by kanga on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Boxkite
kanga wrote:For comparisons (cover dimensions, pages very slightly smaller):

First logbook, '60s, RCFCA: 18x12mm
Second, '00s, Transair: 21.5x14.5mm - definitely bigger

Wow, that's really tiny.
By kanga
Boxkite wrote:
kanga wrote:For comparisons (cover dimensions, pages very slightly smaller):

First logbook, '60s, RCFCA: 18x12mm
Second, '00s, Transair: 21.5x14.5mm - definitely bigger

Wow, that's really tiny.

oops :oops: cm, of course