Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
James Chan wrote:Personally I'm less concerned when 3 go down to 2, but much more concerned if 2 go down to 1.

If you've got three runways and you close one, then the next step is to go from two to one.

This is a 'bad business' and I hope that it can be stopped. Single runway aerodromes are fine for big, hairy aircraft that take little heed of cross-winds. For the small end of GA the three runway layout (four if you include the grass) of Staverton makes it a rare gem that needs to be preserved.
In MP3's day, we knew that the 'powers that be' were watching pertinent Forum threads, although he, personally, was always properly guarded in his responses thereon. It might be nice to know whether they still are .. :?
Kemble Pitts wrote:
James Chan wrote:Personally I'm less concerned when 3 go down to 2, but much more concerned if 2 go down to 1.

If you've got three runways and you close one, then the next step is to go from two to one.

This is a 'bad business' and I hope that it can be stopped. Single runway aerodromes are fine for big, hairy aircraft that take little heed of cross-winds. For the small end of GA the three runway layout (four if you include the grass) of Staverton makes it a rare gem that needs to be preserved.

That was the start of the rot at Cranfield when 26 had a Nissan development centre planted at one end of it - there were other places as later industrial development demonstrated.

From experience, a NE/SW or E/W runway isn't best if you only have one - our strip is 30/12 and although there's always a crosswind, it's very rarely limiting.
kanga liked this